Master volume slider?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Master volume slider?

Post by Blzut3 »

randy wrote:The closest you'll get is the ALSA->PulseAudio redirection. Unless SDL has Pulse support now... Of course, we could always write another output plugin for PulseAudio, too.
yep.
Spoiler:
That said, even with ALSA redirection the per application volume controls still work. At least two instances of ZDoom set to output to ALSA result in two volume sliders.
randy wrote:And what about OSS4? Does that also have per-application volume levels?
I don't know, Ubuntu completely removed support for native OSS instead deferring people to use padsp to route it through PulseAudio (or use ALSA's equivalent if PA isn't installed).
Nash

Post by Nash »

Thanks for your consideration, Randy. Take as much time as you want.

EDIT: I guess linking the in-game slider to the OS slider is fine, if it's specific only to ZDoom.

Back in the days, I totally HATED how in some games, when you messed with the volume settings, your OS's volumes get affected as well (for example, Vavoom).
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

Blzut3 wrote: I don't know, Ubuntu completely removed support for native OSS instead deferring people to use padsp to route it through PulseAudio (or use ALSA's equivalent if PA isn't installed).
aoss?

Which Linux distributions still conserve the support to OSS? Which ones don't have the support to ALSA?
My wonder is if it's possible to change the output system default to ALSA, since imho it's more used than OSS, and I'm using Ubuntu 10.10.
EksFaktr

Post by EksFaktr »

Oddly enough, I thought older versions of ZDoom *did* have a master volume slider. Maybe I'm mis-remembering.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Sooo... since the sound code has recently been touched... any chance of sneaking this in? :D I'm on Windows 8.1 now but the original problem is still relevant; ZDoom's output is too loud and will drown out my Steam voice chat or TeamSpeak or whatever. Currently hacking this by setting the volumes via commandline when launching multiplayer while my autoexecs default them back for non-multiplayer.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Why do you need this as an option in ZDoom when the Windows mixer can set master volume per application?
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

I believe the idea was to hook it in to the relevant OS calls so that you don't need to tab out and open the full mixer just to change the application's volume.
maseter

Post by maseter »

+1 for master volume and the mute cvar

Heck, even Call of duty has master volume:
StrikerMan780
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StrikerMan780 »

I say yes to this. In XP, there is no independent application volume control, same with a lot of Linux Distros. I'm unsure of Mac.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Nevermind that getting to the OS mixer can be a pain in the arse with fullscreen games. (And usually, as soon as the game loses focus it also goes silent...)
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Menu sound slider is bound to the Master slider as well so i don't touch at it, the only two i change is master itself and music, but i agree in making Master slider a "true" master and separating the gameplay sounds to a SFX Slider.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Finally added it myself. :mrgreen:

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”