The Windows 10 Game DVR/Game Bar Isn’t Working With GZDoom

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

The Windows 10 Game DVR/Game Bar Isn’t Working With GZDoom

Post by Guest »

Hello,

I’m not able to get the Windows 10 Game DVR/Game Bar to work at all with the current version of GZDoom (4.1.1). I have tried every renderer in the options, tried Vulkan, tried it with a default settings file, played around with the Video and Display settings, tried fullscreen mode and windowed mode, tried different Iwads, and nothing has worked yet. I have the latest stable versions of Zandronum, ZDaemon, and Odamex, and they all work fine with the Game DVR. All of my PC games work fine with the Game DVR. GZDoom is having issues with the Game DVR. It won’t do background recording or manual recording with GZDoom. When I start up GZDoom or Zandronum, it does show the small message on the right side of the screen that the Game DVR has loaded. But like I said, it doesn’t do any recording at all when I select an Iwad to play. Now with regards to Zandronum, there is a workaround that I discovered. I can load it through the Doom Explorer program which skips the Iwad selection menu but still allows me to select the Iwad (and Pwads) a different way. If I do it that way, then the Game DVR records properly with Zandronum. However, that workaround doesn’t work with GZDoom. Disabling the Iwad selection menu in the GZDoom options doesn’t work either. If I try to open the Game Bar while GZDoom is running, the game freezes and I have to Alt & Tab out and back in to unfreeze it. If I try to capture a clip of the recent 30 seconds (background recording), or try to start manually recording in real time, the game freezes and my mouse cursor shows on the screen. I think what’s happening there is that the Game Bar GUI is trying to show itself on the screen, but something is interfering and it’s not popping up like normal. And again I have to Alt & Tab to unfreeze the game. That’s in full screen mode. Now, what happens in windowed mode is that the Game Bar GUI will show up and request that I have Game Bar remember this as a game. I do that. But then if I try to record, I’m asked again to have Game Bar remember this as a game. No matter how many times I do this, it keeps asking over and over and over. Even if I exit GZDoom and restart it, it still does this. I also noticed that sometimes Game Bar would get confused as to what I’m trying to record. Sometimes it would think that I’m trying to record my Desktop rather than GZDoom. So that’s another weird thing. I’m running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Version 1809, with the latest Windows updates. My video card is an Nvidia card with the latest drivers for version 1809. Nvidia’s latest drivers are compatible with the Windows 10 May 2019 update which I do not yet have (it’s another big one from what I have read). So I decided to not update my video card drivers until the Windows 10 May 2019 update is available for me through Windows Update. And after I download and install it. Anyway, I hope that you can test GZDoom with the Windows 10 Game DVR/Game Bar and figure out the issue and then resolve it in an update. Thank you!
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: The Windows 10 Game DVR/Game Bar Isn’t Working With GZDo

Post by Rachael »

Unfortunately, this is really not a high priority at all for the dev team, as far as I know.

But the most important question of all is - has it ever even worked? Windows and OpenGL don't mix well.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

GZDoom is one of the rare applications that goes for modern OpenGL without making any compromises. It wouldn't surprise me that this thing cannot deal with that or with Vulkan.
I also do not use Windows 10 so I have no means to test and debug this.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

I don't have NVIDIA graphics card at hand, but Game DVR works just fine with GZDoom 4.1.2 on RX Vega. Tried with OpenGL and Vulkan, with and without IWAD selector.
There is one minor problem though. Game bar isn't visible when GZDoom in fullscreen. However, Win+Alt+R starts/stops recording like it should, so who cares.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I disable the game bar in Windows 10. It's a useless feature that I don't need. If I need to record something I have OBS for that.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”