Point lights affected by actor movers get stuck.

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

Point lights affected by actor movers get stuck.

Post by Guest »

Hello, everyone!

I was working on a map for testing GZDoom's new shadow mapping feature when I happened upon an annoying little glitch.
When using an actor mover and interpolation points to try and make moving light sources for a particular test, I found that if the radii of the moving lights hits any sort of infinite height line, the lights appear to collide with the line and stop moving, making the test I was attempting utterly impossible. It's as if the actor mover is considering the light radius a collision radius instead and is causing the bug/issue.

More information available upon request.

Here is the WIP map with the bugged out lights:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yNjT ... sp=sharing

Also worth mentioning is that there are some problems with sector-synced light sources and complex geometry.

The bug(s) can be found in the last room(s) of the map.

Thanks in advance for any help.
_mental_

Re: Point lights affected by actor movers get stuck.

Post by _mental_ »

It always worked like that as far as I know. If need to avoid collision detection create own point light derived from existing class and add +NOCLIP flag to it.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The implementation here probably needs to change. Having lights as regular actors is something that was inherited from ZDoomGL but it'd be a lot better if lights weren't actual actors that are part of the physical map. Ideally even the dynamic light things should just attach a light object and aside from that be simple no-ops.

Post by Guest »

Thanks, guys! Thanks to you, we now have both short-term and long-term solutions, and I can continue my experiments!

On a side note, any idea where I would post examples?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The forum can hold aattachments, but I don't know off the top of my head if it's supported for guests.

Otherwise, personally I use "mega.nz" - it's one of the more reliable file sharing hosts I've encountered.
Wuerfel_21

Post by Wuerfel_21 »

For me, the +NOCLIP flag bugged the lights a little. They would not illuminate walls that were outside of their spawn radius.
So i resorted to writing an Actor that copies its args and position to a point light. (That works)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Putting on hold as this involves a major rewrite of the light code.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

This shouldn't be an issue anymore, now that the actors are no longer the objects representing the light to the renderer.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”