0000061: Player Jump Sound is Always Pitch-Shifted

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
MTrop

0000061: Player Jump Sound is Always Pitch-Shifted

Post by MTrop »

https://mantis.zdoom.org/view.php?id=61

Code: Select all

Summary	0000061: Player Jump Sound is Always Pitch-Shifted
Description	Any sound assigned to a player's jump sound via SNDINFO is always pitch-shifted, regardless of whether or not it is exclusively referred to in SNDINFO via "$pitchshift" or placed after a "$pitchshiftrange 0" statement. Weird thing is, it does not happen for any other player sound.

Pitch shifting sounds is turned on in options.
Steps To Reproduce	Run GZDoom (v2.3.2) with square1.pk3 as an IWAD. Start the game. Jump around. Get hurt. Land on things. Only the jump sound appears to be pitch-shifted, while others are not, despite the SNDINFO saying so. Or maybe others are as well, and I haven't noticed?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: 0000061: Player Jump Sound is Always Pitch-Shifted

Post by Graf Zahl »

I can see where it comes from but you are still out of luck.

This just inherits the setting from the original *jump definition inside gzdoom.pk3.
Unfortunatly I have no clue how this player sound stuff is supposed to work, it's all black voodoo that never was properly documented. The change comes from properly getting the pitch from the outermost definition that is being played, the old code did not do that and got the pitch from the referenced sound which was 0.
MTrop

Post by MTrop »

Thanks, Graf. Glad to know I'm not just hearing things. :)

So what are my options, here? Is there something I can do on my end to ensure proper behavior until a fix is in place?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sadly right now I have no idea. Even overriding the pitch for the correct sound does not work, and as I said, the code is rather obtuse and never was documented. I frankly have no idea yet what Randi was doing here, the system is extremely overcomplicated and something I'd remove in a heartbeat if there wasn't so much stuff depending on it.
MTrop

Post by MTrop »

I'm bumping this thread to let you guys know that this issue is not present in GZDoom 3.1.0 and above.

So... fixed? I guess?
MTrop

Post by MTrop »

Sorry - this isn't fixed. I had "Randomize Pitches" off.

Still broken in 3.2!

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”