[2.9pre-1425-g97107b6] Gore still crashes

These bugs do plan to be resolved, when they can be.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

[2.9pre-1425-g97107b6] Gore still crashes

Post by Rachael »

Continuation of this: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53687

Gore still crashes on the Software renderer. I used the 32-bit devbuild to generate these crash reports, since I am pretty inexperienced with diagnosing and fixing these, myself.
CrashReport5.zip
(21.81 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
CrashReport-Gore4.zip
(21.11 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
randi
Site Admin

Re: [2.9pre-1425-g97107b6] Gore still crashes

Post by randi »

How long did you have to leave it running on the titlemap to crash? What resolution?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It really was pretty random, sometimes it took 10 seconds sometimes it took a couple minutes. I ran at 1600x1000 (which was LB mode for 1600x1200).
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

WOW didn't know that Gore was causing this chaos lol

Anyway I noticed a couple of things inside your reports:

1. What are those splash / fluids wads autoloaded within ZDoom? Gore has hundreds of actors and maybe there are some conflicts between something internal which comes out of them (despite the Blood actor from zdoom.pk3, which is highly used for the gory system on Gore XD)

2. My maps used GL skyboxes defined through GLDEFS lump plus MAPINFO settings... dunno if it could be another cause of the issue...

3. In case you missed it, there is also a GitHUB version of Gore and I am (I was but surely I'll be in the future :P ) in the way to convert existent maps into UDMF format... Maybe tryin' to see if that fixes the bug here?

In the end I found the problem: try to remove the TENEBRAE.ogg from the music folder or just rename it in order to not load it from the TITLEMAP, because this way I won't get any crashes (but happens with most recent build of ZDoom if I leave it)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Ozymandias81 wrote:WOW didn't know that Gore was causing this chaos lol

Anyway I noticed a couple of things inside your reports:

1. What are those splash / fluids wads autoloaded within ZDoom? Gore has hundreds of actors and maybe there are some conflicts between something internal which comes out of them (despite the Blood actor from zdoom.pk3, which is highly used for the gory system on Gore XD)

2. My maps used GL skyboxes defined through GLDEFS lump plus MAPINFO settings... dunno if it could be another cause of the issue...

3. In case you missed it, there is also a GitHUB version of Gore and I am (I was but surely I'll be in the future :P ) in the way to convert existent maps into UDMF format... Maybe tryin' to see if that fixes the bug here?

In the end I found the problem: try to remove the TENEBRAE.ogg from the music folder or just rename it in order to not load it from the TITLEMAP, because this way I won't get any crashes (but happens with most recent build of ZDoom if I leave it)
1. Splash.pk3 was Enjay's TERRAIN lump and ported sprites from Heretic for emulating splashy water from Heretic. Fluids.pk3 just applies a warp effect and makes the fluid animations smooth.

2. Not an issue. It just won't show them.

3. No - if there's a crash, we need to use the wad that actually causes it. This likely seems to be a texture bounds error related to the floatification.

4. Are you absolutely sure about your music causing the crashes? I am not, and I doubt that's the issue. I think it was just coincidence that you didn't get the crashes when you unloaded it.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Yeah if I remove only the Titlemap music, everything goes fine on my side.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Is this still an issue iwith all the changes to the renderer over the last 4 months?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yes, it is, but it is not a crash issue. (QZDoom)

QZDoom catches access violations - and they still occur and will report them - but it will let the game continue to run.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Are you two totally sure that it isn't a sound issue?
FYI the music used on that Titlemap was an .iti module converted with ModPlug Tracker, straight from the original .u8 audio file of Ultima VIII: Pagan.
Then I used the same program (ModPlug) to build up the .mp3 file and then checked it through Audacity in order to augment a bit its amplification.
If I remove such music everything goes fine for me...

Forgot also to say that I have saved such file with Audacity as an .ogg file
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If it crashes in the renderer it cannot be a sound issue, don't you think?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Exactly what Graf said.

Crashes may appear mysterious to you, but to anyone who has a debugger you know exactly what code is crashing. Additionally, QZDoom does not prevent sound code crashes.

Return to “On Hold Bugs”