Exclusive Fullscreen with Vulkan?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Exclusive Fullscreen with Vulkan?

Post by Guest »

Hello

how do i activate exclusive fullscreen with the vulkan api? i have serious input lag caued by dwm.exe because it does not run in fullscreen mode. opengl runs fine.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Exclusive Fullscreen with Vulkan?

Post by Graf Zahl »

GZDoom does not use exclusive fullscreen. It only uses borderless fullscreen windows.
What's your system specs? This is rather unusual.

Post by Guest »

AMD Phenom II X4 3.4 GHz
8GB DDR3
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB
Windows 10 Home & Windows 7 for backward compatibility.
60hz Full HD Display

Input lag feels like vsync on. The reason why i think it has to be the dwm.exe is because i'm getting the same results with other games running in borderless or windowed mode.
This does not happen with Windows 7 because i disabled Windows aero and dwm.exe.
Rachael
Admin
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

dwm.exe is indeed responsible for a lot of major sync issues especially with dual-GPU systems, but indeed single-GPU systems in some rare cases. Unfortunately there is nothing GZDoom can do about that - and exclusive fullscreen mode has never been available for any application other than Direct3D apps prior to DX12. It was never available to OpenGL, and it certainly was never available and won't ever be available to Vulkan.

That being said - dwm.exe *should* automatically disable itself when GZDoom is in full screen automatically. If it's not doing that, that means there's another application drawing to the screen, even if invisibly. Make sure nothing is running in the background when GZDoom is running - and make sure nothing (i.e. screen recorders and what not) is hooking GZDoom's Vulkan output. HyperCam is absolutely notorious for incompatibility with GZDoom and causing a whole huge slew of issues and it's recommended if you use it, uninstall it completely and replace it with OBS Studio, because honestly HyperCam is a hot steaming pile of shit anyway.

Make sure also to disable the XBox Game Bar and related stuff too.
mjr4077au
Discord: mjr4077au#1027
Github ID: mjr4077au
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mjr4077au »

FWIW, Vulkan does have an exclusive fullscreen mode for Windows. I know vkQuake2 is at least using it, I'm sure a lot of other vendors are as well.

If we ever get to the point of being Vulkan-only once OpenGL could safely be deprecated or split out, could be worthwhile considering then but I probably wouldn't bother otherwise.

For the mean time, I completely second Rachael's advice about making sure nothing is hooking the output. This could be a capture program as said, or MSI Afterburner/RTSS or anything else that might be running. Whatever's going on here, I highly doubt it's on GZDoom's end, I've never had this issue myself or had to consider disabling DWM on Windows 10 like one might have back in the Windows Vista/7 days, things just work these days.

Return to “Technical Issues”