Gamma Correction for Palette?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Hey Doomer

Gamma Correction for Palette?

Post by Hey Doomer »

Since Doom was developed on CRT monitors, does the Doom palette require an additional gamma adjustment to be correct? Just curious. LCD monitors are quite different.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Gamma Correction for Palette?

Post by Graf Zahl »

There is no perfect setting that "emulates CRT".
Each monitor needs something a little bit different. On my last CRT I had to use a gamma of over 2.0 to get sufficient brightness, on my last LCD I used 1.0 and on my current one I use 1.1.
JPL

Post by JPL »

CRTs are incredibly diverse in terms of the value and color ranges found, and capturing the look of one on a modern display is a highly subjective process. See here for a previous effort to create a PLAYPAL to emulate the look of a specific monitor: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=64615&p=1104042
I do like the added richness there but again there's no single right way to do it.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

BTW. there are some mods out there that include a "more CRT-like palette for modern monitors". In general I find these all way too dark on my *properly calibrated* LCD screen.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

If you set your LCD monitor to sRGB mode then a 1.0 gamma correction in GZDoom should match the average of the CRT monitors out there.

As JPL points out there's no correct look here, since it all depends on exactly which monitor you would have had in 1993. Even at id software I'd assume they used different monitor models for each of their developers. That means you can't even select a specific CRT monitor model as the reference for correctness.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just to speak to the variation between monitors I run a double monitor setup: two "identical" Dell 24" LCD monitors sitting side by side. They were bought at the same time. Even between these two, there are clear colour differences - most obvious in the blue ranges where one is definitely blue-blue, the other hints towards cyan-blue and no amount of adjustment and calibration can get them matching more closely than I have managed.

It's not a problem in my case (in fact, it is useful occasionally), but it does help illustrate the differences that can exist. If I had only bought one monitor, I probably would never even have thought that there might be anything different about the colours on it compared to other monitors.

As for gamma - using the gzdoom default on both of these monitors works fine for me.
Hey Doomer

Post by Hey Doomer »

Interesting. Thanks!

Return to “Technical Issues”