Problem with loading HD textures

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Problem with loading HD textures

Postby aivar242 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:42 pm

Hello. I used to play on port 4.2.1b and everything was fine. In the root of the port, a TEXTURE folder was created and there were HD textures in it, in .png format. Everything worked.
I installed the previous version of the port - 4.7.1 and the port stopped seeing all textures. I understand that in the new version of the port, serious program changes have occurred, if this happened to textures? What should I do to make the new port define textures? It is desirable that they are defined in the same way, unpacked as before, and not in the .pk3 archive.
aivar242

Re: Problem with loading HD textures

Postby Enjay » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:51 pm

The old Texture folder format for hi-res textures has gone. This may shed some light: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68077

Of course, if you really need your textures to be in a folder rather than a PK3, GZDoom can load a folder that has the same internal structure as a PK3 so I guess you could grab a PK3 archive, unpack it into a folder and then add the folder to your autoload. The would probably work, I guess.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Phoebe Podgenure » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:26 am

If the HR/HD textures are from the jDoom Hires texture pack you'll get them working with GZDoom 4.7.1 if you create a new folder inside your GZDoom folder:

g:\GZDoom_folder\new_folder

Then move your unzipped HR texture folder(s) (named "TEXTURES" and "FLATS"?) into that new_folder folder.
Then rename the "TEXTURES" folder to "HIRES" so that you've a folder structure:

g:\GZDoom_folder\new_folder\HIRES
g:\GZDoom_folder\new_folder\FLATS

and all the images are as:
g:\GZDoom_folder\new_folder\HIRES\ashwall.png

Then run GZDoom with command:

GZDoom.exe -file new_folder
Phoebe Podgenure

Postby Enjay » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:29 pm

I don't know if there is an exact replica of the JDoom HR pack set up for GZDoom, but there are certainly some packs that share a number of textures with that pack which are already set up in a functioning GZDoom PK3.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby aivar242 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:08 pm

Phoebe Podgenure wrote:If the HR/HD textures are from the jDoom Hires texture pack you'll get them working with GZDoom 4.7.1 if you create a new folder inside your GZDoom folder:

g:\GZDoom_folder\new_folder

Then move your unzipped HR texture folder(s) (named "TEXTURES" and "FLATS"?) into that new_folder folder.
Then rename the "TEXTURES" folder to "HIRES" so that you've a folder structure:

g:\GZDoom_folder\new_folder\HIRES
g:\GZDoom_folder\new_folder\FLATS

and all the images are as:
g:\GZDoom_folder\new_folder\HIRES\ashwall.png

Then run GZDoom with command:

GZDoom.exe -file new_folder

Thanks. Everything works well.
aivar242

Return to Technical Issues