No sound on GZdoom v4.7.1 (openal error??)

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

pointblank
Discord: Ao1|Pointblank#2256

No sound on GZdoom v4.7.1 (openal error??)

Post by pointblank »

Running Linux Mint, latest version. Have had gzdoom installed for a long time as flatpak, but sound recently stopped working, i think when i had to reinstall zandronum for an unrelated issue. now i am trying the apt package of gzdoom (which is actually a newer version than the flatpak version), but neither has working sound or music. i have tried cleaning out ~/.config/gzdoom, purging all residual files, reinstalling, and removing wads & mods.

here are the errors i get:

Code: Select all

S_Init: Setting up sound.
I_InitSound: Initializing OpenAL
AL lib: (EE) ALCpulsePlayback_contextStateCallback: Received context failure!
AL lib: (EE) ALCpulsePlayback_connectStream: Stream did not get ready: Connection terminated
 Could not open audio device
Sound init failed. Using nosound.
I have tried selecting different midi devices in the in-game sound menu, but to no avail. right now, i have fluidsynth selected.

the openal related packages i have installed via apt:

libopenal-data
libopenal-dev
libopenal1
libopenal1:i386
openal-info (i think this one is useless)
please help!! :!: :(
pointblank

Re: No sound on GZdoom v4.7.1 (openal error??)

Post by pointblank »

i've spent a few hours now, trying to figure out why sound works on my other Linux Mint computer, but not my main one. Comparing apt packages, looking at /etc/openal/alsoft.conf, trying different downloads of gzdoom... this is looking hopeless. not how i want to spend my christmas eve lol. i'll check back in a few days.
pointblank

Post by pointblank »

quick update:
reinstalling the flatpak version, and launching via terminal w/ flatpak run org.zdoom.GZDoom results in the following errors (slightly different from the deb package errors)

S_Init: Setting up sound.
I_InitSound: Initializing OpenAL
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to set real-time priority for thread: Operation not permitted (1)
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to set real-time priority for thread: Operation not permitted (1)
 Could not open audio device
Sound init failed. Using nosound.
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:466:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
KynikossDragonn
Twitch ID: kynikossdragonn
Github ID: KynikossDragonn
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

Sounds like flatpak permission problems, what if you just compiled GZDoom yourself and ran it locally instead?

I always read about flatpak ran stuff having all sorts of permission issues with accessing sound devices and even the PulseAudio/PipeWire server that I don't see happen if you had just built the software yourself and run it outside of flatpak's weird sandboxing.

AL lib: (EE) ALCpulsePlayback_contextStateCallback: Received context failure!
AL lib: (EE) ALCpulsePlayback_connectStream: Stream did not get ready: Connection terminated
These two lines right here definitely sound like running this from flatpak it's unable to access the cookie needed to access the PulseAudio server.
pointblank

Post by pointblank »

yes, a flatpak permission issue was one of my guesses too, except it occurred with the deb package too...

BUT

pipewire got an update and both versions work flawlessly now. i guess patience was the solution here.
thank you for your time. 😅

Return to “Technical Issues”