OpenAL Issues on startup

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

OpenAL Issues on startup

Postby Vanilla_Joe » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:56 am

So I've been using GZDoom on my computer for the past few months, It's been great. Like always I just double click the pk3 file for Joe's Schmoes doom mod or whatever I'm feeling when I'm met with a crash, Testing different things over and over again with no use. I even poked around these forums for answers but there was no help there.

I don't know what causes it but I'll open the GZDoom app, Select the iwad I want, and click play. It'll load for a few seconds before freezing on "Opening OpenAL soft device High Definition Audio device" Then just stop responding. Tho when I take out OpenAL32.Dll out of the root folder it boots up perfectly fine! Just no sound, I'm not sure If I did something to cause this but I just want my doom to work again.

I'm also not sure where I would find the CrashLog.zip file so if needed please let me know where to find it
Vanilla_Joe

Discord: 🥃Vanilla_Joe🍺#3884
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Re: OpenAL Issues on startup

Postby Rachael » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:37 am

It sounds like it's crashing querying one of your audio devices - which means you may have a bad driver on your system.

Hit Win+R and type in "devmgmt.msc" and then pop open the audio devices - and disable all of them, confirm that GZDoom starts (with OpenAL enabled), and then enable them one by one until GZDoom stops working again. Then you've likely found the culprit. Then the device should either remain disabled or be replaced, or the driver for it needs to be reinstalled.

Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Redneckerz » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:48 am

Vanilla_Joe wrote:So I've been using GZDoom on my computer for the past few months, It's been great. Like always I just double click the pk3 file for Joe's Schmoes doom mod or whatever I'm feeling when I'm met with a crash, Testing different things over and over again with no use. I even poked around these forums for answers but there was no help there.

I don't know what causes it but I'll open the GZDoom app, Select the iwad I want, and click play. It'll load for a few seconds before freezing on "Opening OpenAL soft device High Definition Audio device" Then just stop responding. Tho when I take out OpenAL32.Dll out of the root folder it boots up perfectly fine! Just no sound, I'm not sure If I did something to cause this but I just want my doom to work again.

I'm also not sure where I would find the CrashLog.zip file so if needed please let me know where to find it

Just an offpan solution i found helped with older GZDoom based ports: Try renaming OpenAL32.dll to OpenAL.dll.

When i tested out GLOOME in 64 bit on DoomWorld, i always ran into issues when OpenAL32.dll was there.

The irony is that this dll is perfectly valid, but somehow renaming it seems to work.

Did you compile the port yourself?
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Enjay » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:37 pm

Does doing that not just mean that GZDoom cannot find OpenGL32.dll in its own folder so uses one installed in the system instead?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:42 pm

Vanilla_Joe wrote:I don't know what causes it but I'll open the GZDoom app, Select the iwad I want, and click play. It'll load for a few seconds before freezing on "Opening OpenAL soft device High Definition Audio device" Then just stop responding. Tho when I take out OpenAL32.Dll out of the root folder it boots up perfectly fine! Just no sound, I'm not sure If I did something to cause this but I just want my doom to work again.

If you got the "Opened device OpenAL Soft on ..." message, that means it opened the audio device but got stuck trying to configure and start it. What version of Windows are you using? 64-bit or 32-bit? What version of GZDoom? 64-bit or 32-bit?

Enjay wrote:Does doing that not just mean that GZDoom cannot find OpenGL32.dll in its own folder so uses one installed in the system instead?

Or just doesn't load one, so it has no audio support.
Chris

Postby Enjay » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:46 pm

I was assuming that Redneckerz was probably still getting sound when he tried this but, yes, or no sound would be the other result.

And, of course I mean OpenAL, not OpenGL - force of habit, but my comment would apply to OpenGL (or any DLL I guess) too.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:23 pm

Redneckerz wrote:Just an offpan solution i found helped with older GZDoom based ports: Try renaming OpenAL32.dll to OpenAL.dll.

When i tested out GLOOME in 64 bit on DoomWorld, i always ran into issues when OpenAL32.dll was there.

The irony is that this dll is perfectly valid, but somehow renaming it seems to work.

Did you compile the port yourself?

No, that doesn't work. All that will do is disable the DLL entirely. If that solution works you must have a system-installed DLL somewhere.
The problem is just: if that's the one from Creative, it is broken and should be removed. It also seems to use very dirty hacks to prioritize itself over local ones somehow.
I wouldn't be surprised if something along these lines was happening here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby drfrag » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:06 pm

I didn't get sound with that ZDoom64 thing either.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby Vanilla_Joe » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:26 pm

[quote="Rachael"]It sounds like it's crashing querying one of your audio devices - which means you may have a bad driver on your system.

Hit Win+R and type in "devmgmt.msc" and then pop open the audio devices - and disable all of them, confirm that GZDoom starts (with OpenAL enabled), and then enable them one by one until GZDoom stops working again. Then you've likely found the culprit. Then the device should either remain disabled or be replaced, or the driver for it needs to be reinstalled.

So I just had to reinstall my drivers, I figured it had to do with the program itself since I hadn't problems with sound on anything other then GZDoom. It's all sorted now, Sorry if I wasted your time. Thanks to anyone that helped tho!
Vanilla_Joe

Discord: 🥃Vanilla_Joe🍺#3884

Return to Technical Issues