Is there a crash log / debug log for GZDoom?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
necros

Is there a crash log / debug log for GZDoom?

Post by necros »

Hi there, I'm building a map right now and I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I've done something that now causes GZDoom to hard lock when I look / enter certain parts of the map.

The engine completely freezes and I have to kill the process. All I have is windows event viewer...

Code: Select all

The program gzdoom.exe version 4.7.1.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 6bf4
 Start Time: 01d7d334fac893fc
 Termination Time: 32
 Application Path: D:\Games\Doom\gzdoom.exe
 Report Id: 3e1bda03-a5e9-4bfb-84f9-40697ad1a58b
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 
 Hang type: Unknown
Is there any way to get more information about the nature of the crash so I can troubleshoot my map? I tried -stdout but there is no output when it freezes.

edit: Ok, wow, now I really want to know why it's crashing... Depending on where I start in the map, it will sometimes crash or not crash. O_o
necros

Re: Is there a crash log / debug log for GZDoom?

Post by necros »

Ok, I remember reading somewhere that if you have parts of the map too far from the origin, this can cause problems (but I can't find that source any more) so I moved everything closer to the origin and it seems to have gotten rid of the crashing... Very weird error, wish the engine could give more insight into why this happens. :(
Blue Shadow
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Blue Shadow »

You could upload the problematic version of the map for someone (a developer) to take a look.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Do you have custom actors? Hangs are generally caused by an infinite 0-tic loop.

Return to “Technical Issues”