Is there a crash log / debug log for GZDoom?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Is there a crash log / debug log for GZDoom?

Postby necros » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:09 pm

Hi there, I'm building a map right now and I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I've done something that now causes GZDoom to hard lock when I look / enter certain parts of the map.

The engine completely freezes and I have to kill the process. All I have is windows event viewer...
Code: Select allExpand view
The program gzdoom.exe version 4.7.1.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 6bf4
 Start Time: 01d7d334fac893fc
 Termination Time: 32
 Application Path: D:\Games\Doom\gzdoom.exe
 Report Id: 3e1bda03-a5e9-4bfb-84f9-40697ad1a58b
 Faulting package full name:
 Faulting package-relative application ID:
 Hang type: Unknown

Is there any way to get more information about the nature of the crash so I can troubleshoot my map? I tried -stdout but there is no output when it freezes.

edit: Ok, wow, now I really want to know why it's crashing... Depending on where I start in the map, it will sometimes crash or not crash. O_o
necros

Github ID: necros0

Re: Is there a crash log / debug log for GZDoom?

Postby necros » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:51 pm

Ok, I remember reading somewhere that if you have parts of the map too far from the origin, this can cause problems (but I can't find that source any more) so I moved everything closer to the origin and it seems to have gotten rid of the crashing... Very weird error, wish the engine could give more insight into why this happens. :(
necros

Github ID: necros0

Postby Blue Shadow » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:02 pm

You could upload the problematic version of the map for someone (a developer) to take a look.
Blue Shadow

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Gez » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:33 am

Do you have custom actors? Hangs are generally caused by an infinite 0-tic loop.
Gez

Return to Technical Issues