Keyboard will not work in Heretic and Hexen

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Keyboard will not work in Heretic and Hexen

Postby Ransom Fanfoot » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:15 am

I followed this guide https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =487092473 and for some reason my keyboard will not work in either Heretic or Hexen. I can use the keyboard in the start up menu of the games but once I start the first level I cannot move nor can I open up a menu hence my keyboard does not work when playing. The mouse look and shooting works just fine. Also I noticed if I tried to change the key bindings in the menu, it will only let me change to mouse buttons, as the keyboard will not work when changing binds either. Anyone have any idea what is going on? I tried all the GZDoom, LZDoom, and ZDoom and they all do the same exact thing.
Ransom Fanfoot

Re: Keyboard will not work in Heretic and Hexen

Postby Yarn366 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:02 am

You're supposed to install ZDoom and its derivatives in its own location, not in the game's folder. Try doing that using a fresh download of GZDoom/LZDoom/ZDoom and see whether your keyboard starts working again. (As a bonus, GZDoom and LZDoom automatically detect the Steam versions of Heretic and Hexen if they're installed in the default locations in the Steam folder.)
Yarn366

Return to Technical Issues