Muffled sounds? Read this

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Muffled sounds? Read this

Postby Starscreamy » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:16 am

I recently downloaded a new version of GZDoom (4.6.0) and noticed that the sound effects were definitely off: all the sounds were muffled and sounded awfully compressed.
After looking everywhere I couldn't find a solution, but noticed that GZDoom switched over to OpenAL. I decided to investigate and after a while I remembered that I recently played modded Stalker: Anomaly.
Why is it important? One of the mods I applied (GROK'S BETTER SOUND FOR ANOMALY) requires you to run an application (alSOFT-config.exe) that modifies your openAL settings (resampler quality and HRTF Render Method).
After reverting the changes recommended by the mod author (setting both sliders back to default) the problem went away.
Just a little heads up in case anybody finds himself in the same situation as me (a rare occurrence, but it's possible).

Rip and tear.
Starscreamy

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Muffled sounds? Read this

Postby yum13241 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:09 pm

Starscreamy wrote:I recently downloaded a new version of GZDoom (4.6.0) and noticed that the sound effects were definitely off: all the sounds were muffled and sounded awfully compressed.
After looking everywhere I couldn't find a solution, but noticed that GZDoom switched over to OpenAL. I decided to investigate and after a while I remembered that I recently played modded Stalker: Anomaly.
Why is it important? One of the mods I applied (GROK'S BETTER SOUND FOR ANOMALY) requires you to run an application (alSOFT-config.exe) that modifies your openAL settings (resampler quality and HRTF Render Method).
After reverting the changes recommended by the mod author (setting both sliders back to default) the problem went away.
Just a little heads up in case anybody finds himself in the same situation as me (a rare occurrence, but it's possible).

Rip and tear.

TBH, HRTF has always sucked in my experience. It muffles the sounds. Same with any resample quality with Sinc in the name. GZDoom has used OpenAL for a long time.
yum13241

Discord: yum13241#8226
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Return to Technical Issues