Sound problem with hidden repeating floor sectors

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Sound problem with hidden repeating floor sectors

Postby Edward Pirringdat » Thu May 27, 2021 12:13 pm

I've been looking for a solution on this but couldn't find it, sorry if it's explained somewhere else. On newer releases of GZDoom I've encountered some strange audio crackling in specific areas. It always happen the same way: some hidden sector has a "crusher-like" floor with reduced height so it repeat quickly to simulate the crusher sound. The source (crusher floor) emits a very loud "eletric" grinding sound and the crusher sound is usually located on some target nearby and works fine; the problem is the loud sound on the source. I've encountered it in very few areas but it is quite distressing. I found it on TNT maps 08 (after you grab the red key and press the switch to reveal the TNT logo before the last room) and 19 (when you press the switch on a room with tiny boxes and they start moving; adjacent to the big storage room). I also came across it on the first map of Unholy Realms, and this one is the worse I found so far; it is easy to replicate too because it's just outside the first door, on the fountain, it seems to be triggered by a linedef around the start point, as the noises begin as soon as you walk out of it. It seems like the crusher floor is stuck or something. It's there a solution on my end? I've tried messing around with audio settings, turned on and off pratically every option and it doesn't affect it.
Edward Pirringdat

Re: Sound problem with hidden repeating floor sectors

Postby _mental_ » Fri May 28, 2021 1:46 am

This is how those maps are designed. For example, PrBoom+ exhibits the same issue. It sounds a bit different from GZDoom, but the noise is still rather annoying.
_mental_

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri May 28, 2021 2:19 am

You can hear such things in many older maps that emphasized hackish mapping over a good playing experience.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Augustus Babberdale » Sat May 29, 2021 6:17 pm

Oh, I see; thought it was something in particular causing the problem. Thanks for the answer.
Augustus Babberdale

Return to Technical Issues