Compiling ZDoom on non 8086 platforms

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
MartinHowe

Compiling ZDoom on non 8086 platforms

Post by MartinHowe »

I'm trying to build ZDoom 2.8.1 on Alpha AXP using Debian Lenny. This is an old system (AlphaServer 5305) with a cat's chance in Hell of getting hold of a decent OpenGL graphics card with drivers for it, so it has to be ZDoom and not GZDoom. It fails trying to assemble some 8086 code for sc_man_scanner.h, but I thought the need for assembler had been eradicated years ago; surely ZDoom isn't 8086 only?
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Compiling ZDoom on non 8086 platforms

Post by Blzut3 »

Obviously it isn't, there's a PowerPC build. ;)

That said, the CMake project basically assumes x86 or PowerPC, so you'll probably need to comb through src/CMakeLists.txt (and maybe a little of the root CMakeLists.txt). Make sure all the stuff about SSE and ASM is off. May even be as simple as turning NO_ASM on.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Thanks, that fixed it. Apologies for being such a n00b, I have zero experience with CMake other than compiling other people's projects.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

You know i love to see ports running on completely different platforms than you would expect, as opposed to seeing vanilla Doom on every platform imaginable. So this fits the bill.

Other things might be LxDoom on the Corel Netwinder and LsdlDoom on the PlayStation 2. Being Boom based with MBF extensions, its something else than Vanilla being ported over.

Return to “Technical Issues”