Low fps on gzdoom in software mode

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Low fps on gzdoom in software mode

Postby Swordman » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:33 pm

Hello. A few days ago, I downloaded Adventures of Square episode 2. I used to have a computer that could barely run it, meaning that it ran at 30 fps most of the times. Now that I updated my pc a little bit, I noticed something strange. Adventures of square is in software renderer mode by default. So when I try the new levels, I notice that it goes at 50-40 fps, less than ideal. When I change it to hardware accelerated mode, however, it barely got lower than 100 fps, with both vulkan disabled and enabled. I always had the impression that software renderer was faster. Is it normal or there is something wrong? (If I don't have another choice rather than use the hardware accelerated renderer, is there a way to make opengl lightning and pallette look like software mode?)
Pc specs:
Intel core i3 9100f
12 gb ram
amd radeon rx 550 4gb
Swordman

Re: Low fps on gzdoom in software mode

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:24 am

What screen size are you using? The software renderer's performance is inversely proportional to the number of pixels it needs to render. Your CPU should be fine.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Swordman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:52 am

Screen size? You mean resolution? 1366x768
Swordman

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:40 pm

Normally the hardware renderer will be faster, so that part is normal. But for you the software renderer is indeed a bit slow.
I got an older and slower CPU than you have but can run software rendering on these maps with > 70 fps throughout at 1920x1080.
Of course the hardware renderer often goes far above 200.
Graf Zahl

Postby Swordman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:28 pm

So i decided to check again the first 3 maps and I was wrong. Looks I only have low fps in the first map of the episode 2, particularly in places with windows. But whenever i get into places without windows, the framerate goes to almost 100. Other maps don't have the low framerate. Even with the game as low resolution as 640x480, in the zone of the 30 fps screenshot, it goes as low as 45 fps, as long as the game is in software mode. So what could be it? I really want to know and if it could affect other mods that reccomend to use the software renderer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swordman

Return to Technical Issues