Compiling on OS X Big Sur

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: Compiling on OS X Big Sur

Postby PaganRaven » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:06 pm

Darn it. I have an intel mac that's too old to upgrade to big sur, and this one that's brand new and has an M1 chip processor :P

Well, I want to be an active collaborator in the gzdoom dev group, so I can be a guinea pig and help work with you on this.

Like in that list of errors, it thinks there's a lot of undeclared things used right in d_main. What could be causing it to not see those declarations? Are those methods in header files somewhere?
PaganRaven
Viking Warrior

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:21 pm

Use the latest master. 4.5.0 does not work on the M1. The M1 was released after 4.5.0 so the problems it revealed could not be fixed for that release. The latest code should build.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby PaganRaven » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:31 pm

I think that is what I'm using. Can you see my branch (vikingboybilly) and verify?

edit: Cloning with xcode with a token now, and I made sure it's the master. Maybe using github desktop to clone was the problem (it's taking a lot longer too, must be making Xcode project environment stuff for it).

Edit 2: xcode gets stuck cloning this part.

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 8.23.54 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaganRaven
Viking Warrior

Postby Cacodemon345 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:20 pm

You should use the terminal to clone the repository. Try specifying "-b master" at the end of the invocation.
Cacodemon345

Discord: Cacodemon345#9151
Github ID: Cacodemon345
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby PaganRaven » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:43 am

SUCCESS!

My problem was I needed to set the jpeg, zlib, and bzip2 include dir configs to the directories in the gzdoom master, NOT to opt/include where big sur finds that stuff automatically. I'll update the wiki entry on this (or make a new one)
PaganRaven
Viking Warrior

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:53 am

There's checkboxes for making those settings easier. ("Force internal ...") It's a bit surprising that all of these libraries are acting up, though. At least zlib and bzip2 should work. jpeg has been known to cause weird problems, though.
Graf Zahl

Postby PaganRaven » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:20 am

And look! That doesn't say Intel. That's Apple Silicon! I made an M1 build that doesn't need Rosetta!

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 12.16.24 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaganRaven
Viking Warrior

Postby PaganRaven » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:32 am

I have set up a functioning xcode project environment.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.27.56 AM.png

On an unrelated note: I noticed there's a new widescreen support pk3. When I try playing as the cleric in hexen and swing the mace, the sprite for the weapon's attack gets cut off at the right edge, which isn't how it should look. The edge should be stapled on the right side of the screen. What went wrong with the Weapon HUD sprite positions and what can be done? :|

Edit: it's not the weapon positions that changed. It's the widescreen. Some games just weren't made for it and it's going to break any weapon sprite that animates from the side of the screen (unless new widescreen weapon sprites are made for everything and I don't think anyone wants to do that)
PaganRaven
Viking Warrior

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:25 am

The widescreen support file currently only contains data for Doom, the other games hadn't been done yet at the point of 4.5's release.
Graf Zahl

Postby Nash » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:18 pm

PaganRaven wrote:I have set up a functioning xcode project environment.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.27.56 AM.png

On an unrelated note: I noticed there's a new widescreen support pk3. When I try playing as the cleric in hexen and swing the mace, the sprite for the weapon's attack gets cut off at the right edge, which isn't how it should look. The edge should be stapled on the right side of the screen. What went wrong with the Weapon HUD sprite positions and what can be done? :|

Edit: it's not the weapon positions that changed. It's the widescreen. Some games just weren't made for it and it's going to break any weapon sprite that animates from the side of the screen (unless new widescreen weapon sprites are made for everything and I don't think anyone wants to do that)

Don't worry, the Hexen and Heretic graphics and sprites are mostly already done, but I have not pushed the changes to GZDoom yet because I'd like to take some time to thoroughly quality-check them. I don't do frequent commits to the widescreen repo because that would be very wasteful for disk space consumption. They should be ready for either the next version of GZDoom, or the next-next version.

Spoiler:
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby PaganRaven » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:12 pm

You have converted me from a cynic to a true believer :woh:

I wanna do the Cleric's mace. Pleez? I promise I won't disappoint. I'll use Hexen's palette and everything. :mrgreen:
PaganRaven
Viking Warrior

Postby Nash » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:07 pm

The Heretic and Hexen weapons are already fully complete.

(they were, in fact, already complete several months ago)
Nash

Postby PaganRaven » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:23 pm

What about the map screens and the ending with the heresiarch on it?
PaganRaven
Viking Warrior

Postby Nash » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:57 pm

Map screens are done, Heresiarch vertical scroller is in progress. Hexen titlescreens are partially done. I'm juggling several different projects and I'm taking my time with these. :)
Nash

Postby PaganRaven » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:33 pm

You're pushing these out fast for someone taking your time (not complaining; your stuff looks great!)

I made the new wiki page
PaganRaven
Viking Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Issues