.PK3 Files

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

.PK3 Files

Postby SirGibsALot » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:06 pm

Hello, I do not know if this topic is covered somewhere else but I need help desperately.

I have a folder in my ZDoom directory of over a gigabyte of wads and .pk3 files. If I open a PK3 file (iwad doesn't effect it, I tried a bunch of them) it just opens the IWAD, nothing else.

Please help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SirGibsALot

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Re: .PK3 Files

Postby wildweasel » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:37 pm

Double check that the files you've downloaded are intended to work with the version of ZDoom you're using. 2.8.1 is new enough to support PK3 files, but it's missing a lot of the features that newer mods tend to use.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Owen Fundlenan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:30 am

According to the second screenshot above you have associated wad and pk3 files to ZDoom? If you launch them by doubleclicking it might run them as:

ZDoom.exe VESPERAS.WAD (iwad autoloaded?)

But that doesn't work. They should be run with -file:

ZDoom.exe -file VESPERAS.WAD

It's possible to add the -file parameter in the Windows registry to launch files in ZDoom by double clicking, but it's not recommended for faint hearted.

Perhaps you could use a launcher which allows you to select the wads and pk3s. Or drag and drop them into ZDoom.exe; create a ZDoom shortcut into your wads folder, name it as _ZDOOM or something so that it stands out and drag and drop wads and pk3s in it.
Owen Fundlenan

Older ports that use .PK3 Files

Postby SirGibsALot » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:09 pm

Hello, do you know of another doom port close to the classic DooM DOS port that can use pk3 files? The only reason I used ZDoom is to get a classic DooM feel. Maybe PRBoom/PRBoom+?
SirGibsALot

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby wildweasel » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:49 pm

Only ZDoom-based ports (and maybe a couple of other recent ones?) support these kinds of PK3 mods. Most will be using Decorate or zscript, which are ZDoom features (the latter being MUCH newer than ZDoom 2.8.1, that you are using in the above picture).

Which mod are you trying to run?
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Return to Technical Issues