Vsync broken on recent or beta version of GZDoom

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Vsync broken on recent or beta version of GZDoom

Postby ZDL_800 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:22 pm

Seems I cannot figure out how to force Vsync on these versions?

I've enabled Vsync through the options, no joy.

Forced Vsync through GPU GUI, no joy.

Tried to cap at 60FPS, no joy.

Tried unlimited FPS, no joy.

Vulkan mode looks slightly better if compatible but the screen still tears only lightly, its like some dynamic Vsync?

Any game has ultimate screen tearing, also the mouse movement seems off? Its like it fluctuates mouse movement, even with smooth mouse enabled/disabled?

Never had this issue before in years of using GZDoom.
ZDL_800
Banned User

Re: Vsync broken on recent or beta version of GZDoom

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:25 pm

Please do not report technical issues as bugs.

All I can say is "works for me".
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby ZDL_800 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:40 pm

Hello Graf thanks for the reply.

One of the devs have wrote on GZDoom that ''This release removes some magic factors from the mouse sensitivity setup''

Any chance you could put it back and have a separate setting for this new mouse movement, honestly its horrid with all due respect.

It maybe also the reason why Vsync is broken here?

What GPU have you got can I ask?

Thanks again.
ZDL_800
Banned User

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:48 pm

The mouse movement is all the same as before - all it removes is some arbitrary multiplication by 4 from the x-axis.

And whether it's horrid depends on the mouse. There seems to be some strong variations - I have seen mice where the factor 4 is fine and I have seen others where it needs to be 1 to feel right - my current use needs 2. The old setup with one slider for both axes was too limiting for such variations.
Graf Zahl

Postby ZDL_800 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:27 pm

Thanks for the reply, this is very interesting.

I was just about to edit the post and ask, do you have some kind of 15k DPI mouse because I can now see the variations with these super high DPI settings.

The way I test out optimization on our mods, is to basically go to a heavy CPU based area, and spin fast circles with the mouse.

Spinning fast circles reveals microlag or stuttering which then I go back and fix our game.

The issue with newer versions and this new mouse movement is that I cant spin perfect circles anymore, its really weird, I can only describe as a random fluctuation of movement.

A noob will never see this, but I've tested our work with this strange work theory and it's worked for years.

I have an idea, it's merely a suggestion.

Have extra mouse parameters in the settings.

1. Low DPI ( This implements the original magic multiplication by 4 from the x-axis ) This one is perfect for me anyway.

2. Medium DPI ( This implements the multiplication by 2 from the x-axis ) The one which you prefer.

3 High DPI ( This implements the multiplication by 1 from the x-axis ) Which I assume is for a high DPI mouse.

I have indeed edited the mouse sensitivity +/- in the GZDoom options but seems I cannot replicate the original.

Thanks again.
ZDL_800
Banned User

Postby wildweasel » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:35 pm

The problem with having these "DPI" settings is that, as Graf mentioned, these settings are not at all consistent between models of mice. What works for you isn't guaranteed to work for everybody.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby ZDL_800 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:06 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I believe it would be much better to have 3 options to choose from instead of forcing only 1 setting.

As you said, it works for some, so having the options to change between the 3 settings Low, Medium and High would fix 99% of all mouse configurations wouldn't it?

We need our magic mouse settings back please!

Thanks again.
ZDL_800
Banned User

Postby wildweasel » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:41 pm

Orrrrrrr you could just set the sliders until you have roughly what feels right to you?
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby ZDL_800 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:56 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yes indeed normally use 0.8 on both axis but it just feels abit chunky on the mouse movement?

The main issue I'm trying to fix is the fluctuation of mouse movement, it's like, warps slightly its difficult to explain?

Would be great if we could take a snippet of the magic code and somehow make a pk3 addon for legacy DPI, brain expanding, or do you think that's a bad idea I'm just not sure?

Thanks again.
ZDL_800
Banned User

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:31 am

ZDL_800 wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I believe it would be much better to have 3 options to choose from instead of forcing only 1 setting.

There isn't "only 1 setting". There is a slider that can be set to any value you need. If your previous scale was 0.8 with no added movement or turn scaling, the new x-scaling should be 3.2.
What point would adding another multiplier on top of the slider have? It'd only complicate the setup without offering anything feature-wise.
Graf Zahl

Postby ZDL_800 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:48 pm

Thanks for the reply Graf.

I'm not sure to be honest? I thought this statement with ''Some magic was removed'' was another set of parameters which we don't know about?

I've always used smooth mouse active and all axis at default 1.0 with the original parameters before it was altered.

Now with the new mouse parameters I use 0.8 but abit chunky that's all.

If you are stating that I can indeed replicate the original magic settings, I'll mess around with the x-scaling, I'll figure it out hopefully.

Thanks again Graf.
ZDL_800
Banned User

Return to Technical Issues