Screen tearing

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Screen tearing

Post by Wiw »

I've noticed I have some screen tearing when playing GZDoom. It's barely noticeable until I move only slightly. I've tried turning VSync on and off, but that didn't help. I assume it's something to do with the backend, but I'm not entirely sure. Any suggestions?
okbuddy

Re: Screen tearing

Post by okbuddy »

I vaguely recall reading that GZDoom uses adaptive sync. The cvar for it is "gl_control_tear". You could try toggling it with vsync on and see if it makes any difference.
De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

I still dont understand why you dont redesign the vsync option instead of having that hidden cvar

Why not make the vsync option like this:

VSync: Off | Adaptive | On

That would eliminate this confusion.

If I see an option
Vsync : On
I expect it to be on and not adaptive :D
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It can't be done like that because the behavior here is very different on different hardware, there's even a second hidden CVAR due to this.

Return to “Technical Issues”