[Not a bug] 30 fps with the software renderer

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

30 fps with the software renderer

Postby William Dizzlebure » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:04 pm

I don't know if this is a problem. I wanted to play GZDoom with the true color software renderer, instead of using OpenGL or Vulkan or SoftPoly (WTF is SoftPoly?)
But the problem is every time I try to play, the game runs in 30 fps instead of the beautiful 120 fps I have when I play with OpenGL or Vulkan.
Is this an error or the true color software renderer it's like that?
William Dizzlebure

Re: 30 fps with the software renderer

Postby wildweasel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:51 pm

What is the model and speed of your CPU?
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Re: 30 fps with the software renderer

Postby Chris » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:59 pm

SoftPoly is a polygonal software renderer, which allows proper 3D rendering in software (rather than the classic Carmack software renderer, which uses a form of ray casting that limits viewing angles). SoftPoly will be slower than the Camack renderer, due to more mathematically intense calculations for proper 3D texture mapping and lighting, and true-color software will be slower than 8-bit/palette rendering, due to having to run the color blending math for every pixel rather than using lookup tables. And since it's not using the GPU, which is designed for rendering graphics, it's at the mercy of the CPU's number-crunching capabilities.
Chris

Return to Technical Issues