How to make Gzdoom OpenGL behave as Zandorum OpenGL(?)

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

How to make Gzdoom OpenGL behave as Zandorum OpenGL(?)

Postby XASSASSINX » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:04 pm

Hello everyone! Somewhat recently, i have build my own PC, albeit it didn't have a GPU on it's own. Right now, i'm not able to afford a GPU for myself, and i decided to install some random GPU that i found here on my home, i've found one that was the GeForce 9500 GT, which is really not a good GPU as of today standarts, it seemed to cause more problems and now i have to change my computer GPU to the integrated CPU as to was before.

But that's not the point, the thing is, i've noticed that Zandorum runs completely smoothly, at around 450+ FPS plus, easily, even in somewhat intense parts, so i believe that the reason why Gzdoom is perfoming poorily (running sometimes in 30 to 40 FPS, dropping alot) is because of obviously more advanced effects that it has, and something is enabled there, most likely by default on the engine, that really makes my "duct tape temporarily GPU" really struggle.

Is there any way to make Gzdoom OpenGL and such works similary to Zandorum, or is it all integrated by default? It's most likely the second, but i just want to be sure.
XASSASSINX

Re: How to make Gzdoom OpenGL behave as Zandorum OpenGL(?)

Postby Redneckerz » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:25 am

XASSASSINX wrote:Hello everyone! Somewhat recently, i have build my own PC, albeit it didn't have a GPU on it's own. Right now, i'm not able to afford a GPU for myself, and i decided to install some random GPU that i found here on my home, i've found one that was the GeForce 9500 GT, which is really not a good GPU as of today standarts, it seemed to cause more problems and now i have to change my computer GPU to the integrated CPU as to was before.

But that's not the point, the thing is, i've noticed that Zandorum runs completely smoothly, at around 450+ FPS plus, easily, even in somewhat intense parts, so i believe that the reason why Gzdoom is perfoming poorily (running sometimes in 30 to 40 FPS, dropping alot) is because of obviously more advanced effects that it has, and something is enabled there, most likely by default on the engine, that really makes my "duct tape temporarily GPU" really struggle.

Is there any way to make Gzdoom OpenGL and such works similary to Zandorum, or is it all integrated by default? It's most likely the second, but i just want to be sure.

The reason Zandro runs so fast is because it features an older, less feature rich OpenGL renderer than GZ. You may want to use LZ for a GZDoom like experience but more friendly for older GPU's.

You can disable most effects in either the settings menu or through a console.
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Skibicki » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:01 pm

You can auto-load commands by adding them to a file called autoexec.cfg and placing it in the GZDoom folder. See the Display/Renderer CVAR category on the wiki.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/CVARs

Try Diabolus Ex with "gl_plane_reflection false"
Skibicki

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby sinisterseed » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:06 am

There is nothing too fancy enabled in GZDoom by default to cause you such massive drops.

That card is simply far too old and weak, and GZDoom has since been optimized for modern hardware, which is why Zandronum runs well on your PC but not GZDoom. I think Zandronum required a GL 2.x compatible card if I recall correctly, while GZDoom requires 3.3 now - and, although 3.3 is the bare minimum, it locks you out of any advanced features.

So, the solutions here are limited: either use LZDoom, stick to Zandronum, or upgrade, there's no way to speed up GZDoom on that system. But even LZDoom is not a permanent solution - 3.87 will be the last one to be based on the old GL 2.x render, so your only real solution is to either upgrade or stick to Zandronum.
sinisterseed
GZDoom RO Translator & Raze Tester

Twitch ID: sixhundredsixteen
Github ID: sinisterseed
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby drfrag » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:45 pm

sinisterseed wrote:I think Zandronum required a GL 2.x compatible card

Zandronum requires OpenGL 1.3. LZDoom uses an older renderer than GZDoom's and requires OpenGL 2.0, it had a legacy render path and a modern render path.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby XASSASSINX » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:45 pm

To be frank, the only thing i want is to use Gzdoom mods (e.g Steve Flashlight) without lag. The only fix i can do is remove my GPU and go to the BIOS and set my renderer to the CPU (if that made sense). But that's a bit tricky, the other thing i could do is psychically reset the motherboard.

Anyhow, does LZDOOM support moderns Doom mods?
XASSASSINX

Postby Redneckerz » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:27 pm

XASSASSINX wrote:To be frank, the only thing i want is to use Gzdoom mods (e.g Steve Flashlight) without lag.

Alright, if you want to do that, then you need to upgrade your video card if you don't want to use LZDoom. A many GZDoom mods make full use of GZ's features and need a modern video card to function.

XASSASSINX wrote:The only fix i can do is remove my GPU and go to the BIOS and set my renderer to the CPU (if that made sense).

That's not a fix whatsoever as you then are opting to use OpenGL rendering through the CPU. (Which you don't do through the BIOS, either way).

XASSASSINX wrote:But that's a bit tricky, the other thing i could do is psychically reset the motherboard.

That's not going to do anything to your lag. And physically resetting the motherboard? As in, you open up your computer and move a jumper or take it out of the case? Because that does not do what you seemingly think it will do.

XASSASSINX wrote:Anyhow, does LZDOOM support moderns Doom mods?

Yes.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Postby XASSASSINX » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:03 pm

Before i installed this GPU, i used the CPU to renderer, and the game ran smoothly. So if i resetted back to that, it SHOULD go back to how it runned. Smooth. Or i could also remove the GPU psychically, as that should set the default renderer to the CPU.
XASSASSINX

Postby sinisterseed » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:47 am

Perhaps, but it's not a permanent solution.

Integrated graphics simply aren't good for gaming, and their drivers tend to be unstable and buggy for them - or at least, on older generations that was definitely the case. So for a future proof solution, getting a decent GPU when you'll be able to afford one is the only way to truly go.
sinisterseed
GZDoom RO Translator & Raze Tester

Twitch ID: sixhundredsixteen
Github ID: sinisterseed
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Redneckerz » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:12 pm

XASSASSINX wrote:Before i installed this GPU, i used the CPU to renderer, and the game ran smoothly. So if i resetted back to that, it SHOULD go back to how it runned. Smooth. Or i could also remove the GPU psychically, as that should set the default renderer to the CPU.

I have problems with your terminology, but i understand now what you mean - You used software rendering (so CPU based).

Removing the GPU physically means you are going to run on basic VGA or the integrated graphics or?

sinisterseed wrote:Perhaps, but it's not a permanent solution.

Integrated graphics simply aren't good for gaming, and their drivers tend to be unstable and buggy for them - or at least, on older generations that was definitely the case. So for a future proof solution, getting a decent GPU when you'll be able to afford one is the only way to truly go.

Current Intel GPU's are now Iris Xe based which definitely helps a lot in the perf department - to the point where Intel just released its first discrete GPU being directed derived from an IGP product (LIterally the same thing but with 4 GB LPDDR4X), 96 execution units, 768 ALU's.

Its about as fast as a Geforce MX350 or a Vega 6-7 - So pretty decent stuff for GZ. Since Ice Lake, their IGP is pretty well.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Postby XASSASSINX » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:32 am

As i said, it is a temporaily solution. Removing psychically the GPU SHOULD restoure to CPU Rendering to default right? As this GPU is just making it worse to be honest.
XASSASSINX

Postby drfrag » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:19 am

XASSASSINX wrote:Removing psychically the GPU SHOULD restoure to CPU Rendering to default right?

Of course not, that's not how it works. You must select software manually in the game.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby XASSASSINX » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:08 am

Uh... I was refering to the computer itself. I will most likely have to change it on the BIOS.
XASSASSINX

Postby drfrag » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:18 am

That card was not that bad AFAIR. Have you installed the nvidia driver?
It it's still slow try to run LZDoom with -glversion 3 in the command line and then if that still doesn't work try -glversion 2 instead.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby Redneckerz » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:19 pm

XASSASSINX wrote:As i said, it is a temporaily solution. Removing psychically the GPU SHOULD restoure to CPU Rendering to default right? As this GPU is just making it worse to be honest.

No. You don't need to remove the GPU physicaly at all. You set the renderer in the settings to software rendering.

XASSASSINX wrote:Uh... I was refering to the computer itself. I will most likely have to change it on the BIOS.

The BIOS quite literally has nothing to do with what you want to do.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Return to Technical Issues