Slow down on big maps?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Old Slimer

Slow down on big maps?

Post by Old Slimer »

GzDoom runs great for me pretty much all the time, even when there's a lot of stuff happening on screen, but recently when I tried 2 really large maps, i experienced a lot of slow down, and my frames pretty much halved. Any ideas what could be causing this? Any settings I could tweak?

My pc is pretty good, and I can run some big and good looking games.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Slow down on big maps?

Post by Rachael »

A lot of GZDoom runs on the CPU instead of the GPU which is what causes most of the slowdown. This is because of the way the Doom engine works, and there's no real programming "miracle" that can solve this short of rewriting the renderer and possibly even much of the level code itself from the ground up.

The only real way to fix this is to not run maps that have too busy of a scene or too many monsters. Sunder, for example, is extremely notorious with its monster count and can slow even somewhat modern systems to a crawl.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Old Slimer wrote: My pc is pretty good, and I can run some big and good looking games.

What does "pretty good" mean in CPU and GPU terms?
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Just post your system spec, you can use tools like Speccy or HWiNFO, it's too hard to guess without more infomation about your system.

Unlike modern games, GZDooM still be limited by most of origainl DooM engine spec, even with changes, it doesn't mean you can run huge maps because AIs and BSP works, they're CPU hungry.
CacoTaco

Post by CacoTaco »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Old Slimer wrote: My pc is pretty good, and I can run some big and good looking games.

What does "pretty good" mean in CPU and GPU terms?
Can't speak for him, but I'm running an RTX2060 with an i7-9k CPU and have had situations where my framerate will get hit hard.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

What are "situations"?
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

Graf Zahl wrote:What are "situations"?
Can't really speak for him but those situations are PROBABLY monster clusterfucks making the FPS nosedive into a barrel full o' crap or just a map with the size of a entire country.

Return to “Technical Issues”