r_portal_recursions CVAR seems to be ignored

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Albertoni

r_portal_recursions CVAR seems to be ignored

Post by Albertoni »

It is as the title says. I was messing around with portal experiments and I can't see further than the 4th portal. I can set the CVAR to 1, to 64, but it's always 4 recursions that get drawn. Any ideas?

I've looked into the source a bit, and I'm not good enough with C++ to understand what exactly line 71 here is doing: https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/blo ... al.cpp#L71
Followed it to the macro expansion and the class it then calls, but then I have zero idea what's going on. My fear is that calling it like that hardcodes the value so even the console can't change it.

I updated to the last version of GZDoom as of this post just to be sure. Running Win 10, NVidia 1050Ti GPU, some driver that's a few months old, though this all has pretty much zero chance to be the issue.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: r_portal_recursions CVAR seems to be ignored

Post by phantombeta »

That value is just the default value of the CVar. Which renderer are you using, and which backend?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: r_portal_recursions CVAR seems to be ignored

Post by Rachael »

The CVAR is a misnomer. For the hardware renderer it's r_mirror_recursions that does exactly the same thing, except it's named differently.

r_portal_recursions only affects the software renderer.

Return to “Technical Issues”