Monitors #1 & #2?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Enjay

Monitors #1 & #2?

Post by Enjay »

Is there any way that anyone knows of to force Windows to allocate identification number 1 and 2 to particular monitors rather than letting the system auto-decide?

Back story:
I have two identical monitors attached to my machine (both Dell U2412M). The one that I was using as the primary display flaked out a couple of times over the last week (went momentarily blank) and came back (I actually had a similar problem a few months ago with another monitor :evil: ) . So, I thought I'd swap the two monitors over to see if it was a problem with that port on the graphics card, or the monitor itself.

The original setup was that the primary monitor was designated as #1 and it was right in front of me. The secondary monitor was #2 and sat off to the right.

When I swapped the monitors over, that's literally all I did. I unplugged the cables, left the cables sitting exactly where they were, physically swapped the monitors and then plugged them in. So, the monitor in front of me was the one that had previously been the #2 secondary monitor and vice versa but the cables were in the same position. i.e. the monitor now in front of me may be physically a different one but it is plugged into the port that the primary monitor was always plugged in to and the one off to the right is plugged in to the slot that the secondary one was always plugged in to.

But here is the weirdness. Everything that I have read tells me that which monitor gets what number allocated to it depends on the port they are plugged in to. So, the monitor in front of me, even though it is a different physical unit (of exactly the same model) should still be #1 right? Because it is plugged in to the port that monitor #1 always was, right? But it isn't. It's got number #2 and the one off to the right has #1 as its allocation.

Yup, it was the whole shooting match. When I switched on, the displays were reversed (stuff that should have been on the right screen was on the left, I had to move mouse left to get it on to the right screen etc) and the monitor in front of me was being treated as the secondary monitor.

Easy to fix right? Just go into display settings and drag the monitors to their correct positions relative to each other, tell Windows to make monitor #2 the primary display and we're good right? It doesn't actually matter which monitor is called 1 and which is called 2 in the background as long as Windows knows which is the primary and which is the secondary, right? So I did that. I also checked that there was nothing additional that I could do in the nVidia display options (couldn't see anything).

Most of the time, that solves the situation and it doesn't matter which one is called 1 or 2, it's which one is main and which one is secondary that's important. However, certain programs (mostly older games and, unfortunately, GZDoom) seems to default to display #1 regardless of which display is set to be primary. I know that in the case of GZDoom, there is a variable that I can set to tell it to use display #2 (I've done that) but some other programs don't have that option.

So, does anyone know of a way to force Windows to call a particular monitor #1 and #2? As I said, everything I have read says no and that the numbers are determined by which port the monitors are actually plugged in to. However, that doesn't seem to be the case, because I did not change the ports that the monitors are plugged in to relative to their positions on the desk (and the monitors are identical models anyway) but the numbers went with the monitors, not the ports, apparently.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Monitors #1 & #2?

Post by Blzut3 »

I don't have an exact answer for you, but if I recall correctly Windows stores information about monitors it has seen in the registry. You should be able to delete this information to make Windows forget. I forget if it's just the EDID information or if there's another term, but hopefully that can point you in the right direction for searching for the solution if no one else has a better answer.

Now for some completely baseless suggestions that might be worth trying before digging into the registry: Since you didn't say, have you tried connecting the monitors one at a time? I think they also show up in device manager you might be able to delete them there.

As for the physical port thing, I imagine DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport support is what made such static assignments not really viable anymore.
Enjay

Re: Monitors #1 & #2?

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried plugging them in separately, and that did not fix the situation. However, on your suggestion, I have googled the problem adding "registry" to my search terms and then dug into the registry and found some values that might be relevant:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Connectivity
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\ScaleFactors

I'll keep playing around with stuff before I try deleting these, but there are keys within these that match the device numbers mentioned in Device Manager (in properties/events for each monitor) for my monitors.

Return to “Technical Issues”