GZDoom Keyboard Issue

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

GZDoom Keyboard Issue

Postby Nicholas Furrywell » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:40 am

I originally posted this somewhere else but no one had a fix there. I hope you guys can help me.

So, I can use my keyboard to navigate the menu, but if I try to rebind any keys it doesn't accept input, and if I try to use any of my keys in the game they don't do anything.
It's weird that I can use it for the menu, but literally nothing else. anyone got a fix?
Nicholas Furrywell

Re: GZDoom Keyboard Issue

Postby Redneckerz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:42 pm

Firstly, we have to determine which GZDoom version you are using. So which one do you use?

Are you trying to bind controls through the Customize Controls menu?
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby nickplzhelp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:46 pm

Redneckerz wrote:Firstly, we have to determine which GZDoom version you are using. So which one do you use?

Are you trying to bind controls through the Customize Controls menu?

Op here, had to make an account to reply.
Im using the latest one on the site so 4.3.3

I am trying to bind controls through the in game menu, so yeah, the Customize Controls menu.
nickplzhelp

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby m8f » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:36 am

Do you have more than one keyboard layout, by any chance?
m8f
dreamer

Discord: m8f#0629
Github ID: mmaulwurff
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Postby nickplzhelp » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:16 pm

m8f wrote:Do you have more than one keyboard layout, by any chance?

I don;t exactly know what that means, but I do have a Razer keyboard with its own desktop app to control the lights and other stuff. I cant believe I didn't think of fiddling with that. Idk if it will fix it, but i'm gonna mess with it and see if anything happpens.
nickplzhelp

Postby sinisterseed » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:30 am

nickplzhelp wrote:

I don;t exactly know what that means, but I do have a Razer keyboard with its own desktop app to control the lights and other stuff. I cant believe I didn't think of fiddling with that. Idk if it will fix it, but i'm gonna mess with it and see if anything happpens.

Since you're on Windows, to easily determine that, just look in the taskbar in the bottom right corner at the language bar and see whether there's multiple options to choose from.
sinisterseed
GZDoom RO Translator & Raze Tester

Twitch ID: sixhundredsixteen
Github ID: sinisterseed
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby nickplzhelp » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:33 pm

lowskill. wrote:
nickplzhelp wrote:

Since you're on Windows, to easily determine that, just look in the taskbar in the bottom right corner at the language bar and see whether there's multiple options to choose from.

I only have one keyboard layout, and its english, but I did find something that might mean something while I was looking.

It looks like it recognizes multiple keyboards or something but I only have one plugged in.
nickplzhelp

Postby Wilhelmina Billingway » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:03 am

I want to add a clarification to this post:
This was originally posted on Steam, I have the same problem and was investigating on the matter. In short, GZdoom works fine if launched on his own. No problem with keyboard at all. But if you copy all the Gzdoom files inside the steam Doom directory, and rename Gzdoom.exe in Dosbox.exe (To trick steam into launching the same game but actually recording the game time spent), the keyboard will not work properly. You can go up and down in the menu, use enter or esc. But once inside the game (or in the keymapping menu) the keyboard will stop responding ingame, you have to ALT-F4 the game so close it. I've tried deleting everything inside the steam Ultimate Doom folder except for the Wads and leaving the Gzdoom intact, but it still doesnt work. Also Steam overlay is disabled or the game will crash on startup.
Wilhelmina Billingway

Postby torexko » Mon May 18, 2020 9:11 am

Wilhelmina Billingway wrote:I want to add a clarification to this post:
This was originally posted on Steam, I have the same problem and was investigating on the matter. In short, GZdoom works fine if launched on his own. No problem with keyboard at all. But if you copy all the Gzdoom files inside the steam Doom directory, and rename Gzdoom.exe in Dosbox.exe (To trick steam into launching the same game but actually recording the game time spent), the keyboard will not work properly. You can go up and down in the menu, use enter or esc. But once inside the game (or in the keymapping menu) the keyboard will stop responding ingame, you have to ALT-F4 the game so close it. I've tried deleting everything inside the steam Ultimate Doom folder except for the Wads and leaving the Gzdoom intact, but it still doesnt work. Also Steam overlay is disabled or the game will crash on startup.

I have exactly the same problem and haven't been able to solve it.
Is there a solution?
torexko

Postby PlayerLin » Wed May 20, 2020 12:22 pm

torexko wrote:I have exactly the same problem and haven't been able to solve it.
Is there a solution?

I actually try it myself, put latest dev. build of GZDooM into my Steam's DooM 2 directory, renamed gzdoom.exe to dosbox.exe and the game runs fine, without any control problems, I noticed Steam will try to pass command lines to dosbox.exe(related mouse control by loading different DOSBox's configuration file) but it seems gzdoom.exe will just don't care and I still got IWAD selection screen and boot the game normally, and control are fine, I can rebind keys, Steam overlay working fine, no crash at all.

Not sure if op's problem related multiple keyboard devices from Razer(and its driver, since crashing when overlay enabled, maybe related but hard to say), since it's keyboard problem and Steam's DLLs/APIs may acting weird sometime with some combinations. Also, this is NOT valid method to play Steam game, since you just replaced the original exe file to "trick" Steam so if it's working then it's fine but if not, unless someone know what's going on then it's unlikely to get help(also lack of information, system spec, what keyboard using etc...and it's not intend way to play...)
PlayerLin

Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby The Bright Side » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:37 am

Hey guys! I've been playing co-op with a friend recently who has the exact same issue as the OP. Neither of us has the Steam version of DOOM, we just use the normal IWADs that we've had since the 90s, and a bunch of PWADs.

I've never experienced this issue myself on any PC I've owned, and we got it solved on his side for a while by removing any random PWAD from the startup command when the problem appeared, then lauching the game, then quitting, putting the PWAD back in, launching again and voilà, the keyboard would work.

Last week, it stopped working for him altogether. That was on GZDoom 4.3.3. Today, we tried again on 4.4.1, and as I said, the exact same result as the OP's. Any input (get it?) would be greatly appreciated here.

EIDT: fwiw, we're both Germans and he's only using a German keyboard layout on his PC, no others.
The Bright Side

Postby simplyvega » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:31 pm

torexko wrote:
Wilhelmina Billingway wrote:I want to add a clarification to this post:

I have exactly the same problem and haven't been able to solve it.
Is there a solution?

I think I have the solution IF I'm understanding the problem correctly. Also, I found this page because I was having this/similar problem.

Using the Steam version of The Ultimate Doom & GZDoom with the pseudo solution of renaming gzdoom.exe to dosbox.exe in order to have Steam track Play Time and have the Steam Overlay enabled, the keyboard appears to not function at all.

I used this guide: "https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1211043455" which uses this tool "https://steamedit.tg-software.com/", a program called "SteamEdit" to edit the launch dialog box radio button options of any Steam game.

1. Download, unzip, and run SteamEdit
2. Find "The Ultimate Doom"
3. Modify the option "Play The Ultimate Doom" from calling on dosbox.exe to call on gzdoom.exe
4. Erase the Arguments field so it's blank
5. Let working Directory be set to "base"
6. Hit Save & Refresh, let it close and reopen Steam

Now when I launch from Steam, I'm able to choose "Play The Ultimate DOOM", it launches gzdoom.exe, the game loads, the keyboard functions, the Steam Overlay works, and the Play Time counter works as intended.

Aside/assumptions:
If you use this pseudo solution to launch gzdoom (renaming gzdoom.exe to dosbox.exe), Steam itself is forcing gzdoom to use an argument of "-conf base\ultimatem.conf -fullscreen -exit" which gzdoom seems to really hate. Also I'm assuming if you use this renaming technique, that .conf file is used and gzdoom doesnt understand wtf that file is about.

I tried to put the argument back in, in an attempt to break the keyboard again but that did not work and the keyboard, along with the overlay continue to function as intended. So I'm not totally certain as to why it works but this worked for me.
simplyvega

Return to Technical Issues