Mac version of GZDoom

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
johnb1

Mac version of GZDoom

Post by johnb1 »

This one might be on me.....can't figure out why, so thought I'd post here and get some of the wisdom, help and advice that can be found here....

Got a Mac, running Catalina (10.15.3), getting major lag between when I click on GZDoom to get it running, pick an iWAD, then pick a PWAD to play, in this case Team Antipode's TEOTPC, and I have the latest version of that (Life Force.....1.8r1) and the latest stable version of GZDoom, 4.3.3. I also tried it with the pre 4.4 devbuild of GZDoom thinking that it might not be affected......

It was...... I'm thinking it's a problem between Catalina and GZDoom, as Catalina has isolated the folder in which I have GZDoom, which in a folder called "Games" which is also isolated. It's in a big folder labelled security, for some darn reason.....I've also had to disable SIP to install Catalina on this Mac, an older Mac Pro from 2011, on which Catalina is not offically supported, but thanks to the work of DosDude, I got it installed..... it mostly works ....now.......

But.......I still have a few nagging questions that I'm going to have to find answers for......

so....any help appreciated in getting rid of this lag, and getting GZDoom running as smoothly and solidly as I know it can...
thanks

John B
_mental_

Re: Mac version of GZDoom

Post by _mental_ »

"Major lag" is really vague description. Is it half a second? Or ten seconds? Or one minute?

From your post, it's not quite obvious when significant delay occurs. Is it between clicking on application's icon and IWAD selector's appearance? It would be better if you record a video.
Also, I have no idea what "isolated folder" means. Why don't you just copy GZDoom to another location?

I suggest you to do one test. Open Terminal, and run the following commands.

Code: Select all

cd ~/Documents
mkdir gzdoom_test
cd gzdoom_test
curl -LO https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/releases/download/g4.3.3/gzdoom-4-3-3-macOS.dmg
open gzdoom-4-3-3-macOS.dmg
cp -r /Volumes/GZDoom-g4.3.3/GZDoom.app .
umount /Volumes/GZDoom-g4.3.3
./GZDoom.app/Contents/MacOS/gzdoom
These commands create a new folder in Documents, download GZDoom 4.3.3 there, copy it out of the disk image, and launch GZDoom.
Does the problem still persist?

Post by Guest »

thanks, _mental_

will give that Terminal thing a try......

hate to ask a dumb question, how do I record a video ??

john b
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Sorry, I don’t really understand people that cannot google such simple things. Literally, searching for “macos record video” is faster than writing your post. If you will do so, it will give you a link to Apple support article on this subject.
johnb1

Post by johnb1 »

thanks.....trashed the gzdoom.ini, restarted GZDoom, and now it works

Return to “Technical Issues”