DOOM II UNITY NERVE.WAD

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: DOOM II UNITY NERVE.WAD

Postby Yarn366 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:15 am

I have a potential way of identifying the Unity NERVE.WAD versions that should avoid false positives:

When scanning a WAD that doesn't match one of the hardcoded NERVE.WAD hashes, check whether the WAD has a DMAPINFO lump as well as MAP01 through MAP09 but not MAP10. If the WAD passes that check, then open DMAPINFO (which has a ZMAPINFO-like structure; see The Doom Wiki for details) and check whether the lump defines an episode called "No Rest for the Living" that starts on MAP01. If so, then the WAD is almost certainly a version of NERVE.WAD, so load it as such.

The lump check should already filter out nearly all WADs, since pretty much the only ones that would pass would be nine-level Doom II WADs made with the Unity port in mind. And I think it's extremely unlikely that anyone today would title a serious WAD the same as an official episode.

(Of course, all this assumes that lumps can actually be opened during the NERVE.WAD check.)
Yarn366

Re: DOOM II UNITY NERVE.WAD

Postby Rachael » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:00 am

Right now, Nerve.wad is only checked for by size and MD5 hash. The contents are not yet even loaded at this point except to throw it into the hasher. This will work if it doesn't get updated often, but if it sometime down the line ever starts getting regular updates it will be completely untenable to expect GZDoom to keep up with them and be able to check every single file.

Luckily though, from what I can see that is not happening (so far).
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Previous

Return to Technical Issues