Debugging HDR in Vulkan and Opengl

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
SyntherAugustus

Debugging HDR in Vulkan and Opengl

Post by SyntherAugustus »

I have some questions about HDR that are considered technical support, so I put it in the bugs forums. I've tried HDR in Vulkan and Opengl and have had the following results.

Vulkan: The monitor seems to act like HDR is happening, but it also doesn't show that HDR is on in the display properties. Windows HDR gets turned off upon boot of GZDoom in Vulkan mode and stays off after exiting until manually turned on again in Windows 10 settings.
OpenGL: The HDR mode is dim unless I turn up a volume slider or bring up the Nvidia Geforce overlay. HDR is recognized by the monitor.

Some other information that might be helpful -

GPU: RTX 2070
Monitor: Samsung RU7100

DXDiag included.

HDR appears to work fine with a number of other games just fine (Including Mortal Kombat 11, Battlefield V, Modern Warfare 2019), except for Red Dead Redemption 2, which similarly dims the HDR unless I used Nvidia Freestyle to brighten the image which somehow works in Directx12 mode but not Vulkan.

Edit: Oh drat there really is a technical issues forum. Perhaps this thread needs to be moved?
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(80.11 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Debugging HDR in Vulkan and Opengl

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Moved this to tech issues.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

About the OpenGL HDR feature in GZDoom: it is controlled by the vid_hdr cvar and is generally deprecated. It was originally implemented when I had a 10 bpc monitor and I used a framebuffer image format that Windows Vista officially supported for HDR. The Microsoft documentation for it has more or less vanished and if Microsoft doesn't want to even acknowledge it exists I don't want to build further on top of something that could disappear at any moment.

In modern monitor terms this mode is not HDR anyway where you have extra bright pixels. It merely was intended to get you 10bpc. Since then I've discovered that 9 out of 10 monitors advertising 10bpc actually just dithers it, which means you might as well just enable the dithering feature in GZD instead.

The Vulkan HDR feature, controlled by the vk_hdr cvar, is very different. It is an officially supported feature by vulkan. On my monitor it is very clear when Windows 10 switches into HDR mode (brightness of the monitor changes and it writes in the middle of the screen that it is now in HDR mode). In Windows 10 itself you can permanent turn HDR on and off, but even if it is off the feature should work (*). I don't know if it changes what is written in the display properties in Windows while it is active - I never checked that.

Note that I made the HDR feature relatively subtle in GZDoom. I had to put some clamps on the brightness especially when firing the plasma gun as otherwise it became unpleasantly bright. Because Doom was never made for this kind of dynamic range you generally won't see as much HDR as in newer games. You will see the effect more clearly if you enable the bloom filter and play maps with a lot of dynamic lights (Enjay's maps are good for testing). Or just fire the plasma gun - it should be fairly clear if you have HDR working or not.

*) It does on my ASUS monitor and Nvidia graphics card, at least.
Kruno

Post by Kruno »

I don't know what broke, but I made a thread about this when nVidia released a driver set that broke HDR in GZDoom. There was 1 or 2 other games with this issue as well, but everywhere else HDR works fine.

There can be any number of reasons why it broke, and why it works on some machines but doesn't on a few others.

I was using HDR fine today in Monster Hunter World, and I came back seeing if there was a solution to this issue yet in GZDoom. I would love to use HDR in GZDoom again, but I don't want to go backwards in drivers because nVidia released so many features. I tried the new driver today as well, still the same issue.

OP: If you want to use HDR in GZDoom go view my thread and get the driver version before that one I mentioned in that thread.
MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

I've recently gotten a new monitor with HDR400 capabilities. It's been a little bit finicky, but I've gotten HDR working in Red Dead Redmeption, and Hellblade. GZDoom isn't working though despite me toggling both the cvars. I'd be happy to help bugtest if needed. I'm using an Asus XG279Q monitor and 2080TI with latest driver on 64-bit win10. (haven't fiddled with the downgraded driver)
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Make sure you are using a GZDoom version from after Feb 15 2020 (not sure which release that is). That's when I fixed the bug mentioned in this thread in this commit.

In any case, if it doesn't work after that you'll have to get someone with a HDR monitor to debug it as I no longer have one connected to my PC.

Post by Guest »

Hello,

In recent version 4.5 of GZDoom my monitor is finally put to HDR mode when enabled on Vulkan settings (a message appears on the monitor HUD, the same I see if I enable HDR on Windows 10 level).

But I just see all the colors washed out (blacks as dark greys, whites as bright greys), the same that happens on my Desktop and on any SDR software. So, is there any advantage on enabling HDR mode, GZDoom does something with it, or simply renders as SDR?

Return to “Technical Issues”