Sprites have black borders/appear inside black boxes

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
evileggpier

Sprites have black borders/appear inside black boxes

Post by evileggpier »

Hi hello! I'm very new to the whole classic Doom/GZDoom thing. I've obtained the GZDoom program only a few days ago, and am running the Ultimate Doom game through it. As said in the title, the sprites - pretty much all of them, whether an object or a character - have a black border or box around them. So far, the only sprites to not have this problem are the Lost Souls and the player's hands/weapons. I've come here to ask as to what the problem might be; if the problem lies in the graphics card or driver, or the version of GZDoom that I'm currently running, or the WAD itself. Besides these problems, however, the game runs fine.

The GZDoom version I am currently running on is 1.8, and my computer specs are as follows:

Processor: Intel i5 3.40 GHz
RAM: 12 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7770 4GB

P.S. I've tried running the latest version of GZDoom (4.2) and it couldn't run as well.
I've also attached several screenshots that shows what I meant by the "black borders/boxes"
[imgur]https://imgur.com/a/v9S7MqR[/imgur]
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: Sprites have black borders/appear inside black boxes

Post by drfrag »

It's a graphics driver bug. Are you sure you're running the latest?
evileggpier

Post by evileggpier »

I am not running the latest version. The latest is 4.2 and I'm running 1.8.
4.2 won't run on my end and I couldn't figure out why. Would upgrading to maybe 1.9 fix it?
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

AMD drivers seem to be extremely buggy. I'd try upgrading to the latest AMD driver (download a fresh copy from their website).
evileggpier

Post by evileggpier »

Update: I checked out other GZDoom and ZDoom versions beyond 1.8 (I've checked out 3.2.5, 3.3, 3.7.2, and 4.1; and ZDoom 2.8.1) and have found that picking the OpenGL option before the game would launch would lead to the game, then my computer freezing and to my graphics processor crashing and recovering. It really does look like it has something to do with my graphics processor.

Right now i'm looking into finding a driver for my graphics card, as suggested by SanyaWaffles. I'd also like to point out that my graphics card "driver" is called "CatalystControl" and if i'm being honest, I really don't know how it works either. I'll provide further updates once I get this graphics processor issue resolved.
evileggpier

Post by evileggpier »

UPDATE: I have just installed the most recent AMD driver and am running GZDoom 4.2 without any issues (so far); no black borders, no warping or anything. Thank you for all the help

Return to “Technical Issues”