Help with too large resolution/borderless in GZDoom

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Kostov

Help with too large resolution/borderless in GZDoom

Post by Kostov »

My screen resolution is 2560x1080. I’m trying to attain a resolution of 1920x1080 in GZDoom while playing in window mode, but the application counts the window border as part of the limiting screen space instead of overriding it with the desired resolution, thus limiting GZDoom’s resolution to 1920x1061.

Example (with taskbar disabled)

Is there any way to either disable this auto-compensation or to remove the windowed border entirely, preferably without the help of third-party software?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Help with too large resolution/borderless in GZDoom

Post by Graf Zahl »

That bug should have been fixed in 4.1.2
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

In Windows 10 I have noticed it is not possible for a window to exceed the size of the screen. I don't think this is a GZDoom bug.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Rachael wrote:I don't think this is a GZDoom bug.
That’s exactly why I didn’t post this in the bugs section. If it’s not possible, though, maybe there’s a way to remove the window border entirely? I know one other engine that supports this: OpenMW.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Currently there is no way to do that internally. If there's any reason to do this outside of what is honestly a really niche setup, it could be considered for a feature.

That being said, the "fullscreen" (which is really borderless fullscreen) will do this, just set vid_aspect to 1, but you will get the letterbox border on the sides.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Rachael wrote:That being said, the "fullscreen" (which is really borderless fullscreen) will do this, just set vid_aspect to 1, but you will get the letterbox border on the sides.
That’s another thing: I have no idea how to properly turn on borderless mode in GZDoom, since any time I use fullscreen, it takes time to switch between the GZDoom window and the desktop (which is really one of the biggest pros of playing borderless). The command win_borderless doesn’t work anymore, either.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Fullscreen is a borderless window. What you experience may be related to Windows treating them a bit differently.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Rachael wrote:If there's any reason to do this outside of what is honestly a really niche setup, it could be considered for a feature.
The reason I want to make use of this niche feature is because I want to do a 1920x1080 stream on my ultrawide monitor with room for a chat window on the far right, outside of the bounds of GZDoom. This only works in windowed mode, and then works just fine in every way except that GZDoom doesn’t stretch all the way, forcing me to deal with tiny black bars on the top and bottom of the video recording because of the reduced resolution.

Return to “Technical Issues”