Disappearing textures/visplanes for a split second

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Abba Zabba

Disappearing textures/visplanes for a split second

Post by Abba Zabba »

Noticed this with GZDoom 4.0.0, and it also happens with 4.1.1. Basically, certain view angles at certain areas of various maps (more often than not occurs in areas with many angles/facets going on, such as a hallway with numerous indentations along the walls) cause the texture that would normally display there to disappear completely, and to instead show the skybox beyond that area, as if you were peering into an out of bounds area (not a HOM.) Another factor that seems to make this problem trigger more frequently would be flickering light sectors. A good example would be this downward staircase. This happens within a slight fraction of a second, and seemingly corrects itself for the instance it occurs, as I've retraced my steps by going over certain viewing angles that seem to make it occur most often, only to have it randomly occur again. It seems to be an entire visplane/facet rather than sections of it, as I've had some large, flat walls disappear entirely, easily catching my eye. I've updated my drivers on this NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, and the issue still happens. It's pretty jarring. This happens in hardware accelerated video mode, haven't tried either software modes with this issue yet.
Enjay

Re: Disappearing textures/visplanes for a split second

Post by Enjay »

Can you provide a link to a map where this happens and an exact location within the map where you can see the problem (and provide any steps needed to trigger it)?

A video of somewhere in a 17 map set (if it's the mod I think it is) isn't easy to find and can't be debugged.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

The video is timestamped and shows the exact area in the map where the issue is likely to occur; peering into the downward staircase with flickering lights.

WAD is DUMP 1. Map is MAP03: Some Place in Hell I Dunno - by Gardevoir.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Presumably around about these coordinates:

I also have a GTX 1080 and I've had a really good wander around in that area. So far I haven't been able to reproduce the effect that you describe. :?
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Not going to lie, pretty convenient you have the same GPU as me (not sure the manufacturer though.) I appreciate your help on this.

Would your GPU drivers happen to be the same as mine? When I updated to test, it seemingly jumped a few months, from March 23, 2018, to September 5th , 2018. I updated the drivers with Windows, and haven't yet checked the manufacturers website to make sure it all seems in order. My driver version is '24.21.13.9924', would this happen to match yours? I'm going to do another test, as I can't remember for certain if I restarted my computer after updating, but I'm mostly positive I did. Could there be any other settings that could cause such an issue?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

You really should download and install the drivers from NVidia's homepage then. Who knows what Microsoft installs here? It's very often not up to date, and this is already more than half a year old.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yeah, my driver's will not be the same as yours Abba Zabba. I can't check the version right now (not at my computer) but I use the genuine NVidia drivers and the drivers are up to date (updated within the last week or so). I would strongly recommend installing the genuine drivers from the Nvidia site. Chances are they will work better anyway and may fix your issue.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Yeah, the manufacturer had a much newer version, April 17th of this year. What an absurd age difference. Thanks for the help, I'll edit this post once I test out the new drivers, though the last driver version seemed to be doing better if not fixing the problem entirely compared to the absolute oldest drivers I was using.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Even April 17th is a little bit behind the ones direct from Nvidia. Their website tells me ver. 430.39 from 23rd April is the current driver.

[edit] How fast things move. Just updating to 430.64, released today. [/edit]

Return to “Technical Issues”