No keyboard input when using a .bat file or ZDL

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Yellow2206
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

No keyboard input when using a .bat file or ZDL

Post by Yellow2206 »

(EDIT there is no problem anymore
Last edited by Yellow2206 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: No keyboard input when using a .bat file or ZDL

Post by Rachael »

What is your keyboard? What kind of cable does it use?
Yellow2206

Post by Yellow2206 »

Rachael wrote:What is your keyboard? What kind of cable does it use?
Sorry didnt notice you replied i have an Steelseries m800 with usb 3.0 if thats what you mean by cable if not i use the one it came with.

[duplicate post deleted - Enjay]
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I wonder if somehow GZDoom is trying to use a bad ini file or something when run from a bat/zdl? Problem is, it's kind of hard to type "whereisini" at the console when the keyboard doesn't work.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You can do "gzdoom -norun +whereisini" to figure that out. It should work from a .bat or .zdl too.
Yellow2206

Post by Yellow2206 »

Enjay wrote:I wonder if somehow GZDoom is trying to use a bad ini file or something when run from a bat/zdl? Problem is, it's kind of hard to type "whereisini" at the console when the keyboard doesn't work.
i am able to use the menu and type in the console its just when i go into a level it doesnt work neither the mouse which is a g502
Yellow2206

Post by Yellow2206 »

Rachael wrote:You can do "gzdoom -norun +whereisini" to figure that out. It should work from a .bat or .zdl too.
just tried it and it gave me an error
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

If you can type at the console, you should be able to type whereisini there and see which ini file GZDoom is using.

It shouldn't cause an error on the command line though (it works fine when I do it).

[edit]
I just remembered that there was a bug with 4.0.0 where using -norun caused a crash. It's been fixed in the latest git builds. You could use the following instead:

gzdoom +logfile log.txt +whereisini

Then quite and open up the file log.txt that GZDoom would have created.
[/edit]
Yellow2206

Post by Yellow2206 »

Enjay wrote:If you can type at the console, you should be able to type whereisini there and see which ini file GZDoom is using.

It shouldn't cause an error on the command line though (it works fine when I do it).
ohhhh right its probably cause i put it in a .bat file whoops thanks for the suggestion
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

See my edited post above (edited while you were typing). There is a bug with GZDoom 4.0.0 and -norun.
Yellow2206

Post by Yellow2206 »

i managed to find where the ini is being used and had to import my normal ini into that folder which when i checked the location didn't even exist
Yellow2206

Post by Yellow2206 »

Enjay wrote:Edit, see my edited post above (edited while you were typing). There is a bug with GZDoom 4.0.0 and -norun.
just notice that ill try after i check if after creating the ini file in the newly created folder will work
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Curious. As a matter of interest, where was it using? And where is your copy of GZDoom? If it is in Program Files, that could be your problem. The special permissions of the Program Files folder can cause problems. GZDoom should be in a folder that is not inside Program files.
Yellow2206

Post by Yellow2206 »

Enjay wrote:Curious. As a matter of interest, where was it using? And where is your copy of GZDoom? If it is in Program Files, that could be your problem. The special permissions of the Program Files folder can cause problems. GZDoom should be in a folder that is not inside Program files.
the only reason im not screenshot is because i don't know how but my main doom folder is in E:\DOOM (idk how but its over 70 gb) and the ini its for some reason using is in C:\Users\Yellow2206\Appdata\Roaming/Gzdoom/Gzdoom.ini which in the roaming folder doesn't exist and still doesn't work even though i created the same folder name and ini there
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'd be surprised of your appdata/roaming folder doesn't exist because it's a folder created by the system and a lot of programs use it. It is usually hidden though.

My guess is that there is something screwey about your e:\doom folder that prevents GZDoom writing an ini to it. Are you running GZDoom from inside a compressed folder (zip file or similar)? Is the drive write protected somehow?

The printscreen key takes a screenshot in GZDoom (and in windows it copies the screen to the clipboard which you can then paste into a paint program of some sort).

Return to “Technical Issues”