No keyboard input when using a .bat file or ZDL

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Yellow2206
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: No keyboard input when using a .bat file or ZDL

Post by Yellow2206 »

Enjay wrote:I'd be surprised of your appdata/roaming folder doesn't exist because it's a folder created by the system and a lot of programs use it. It is usually hidden though.

My guess is that there is something screwey about your e:\doom folder that prevents GZDoom writing an ini to it. Are you running GZDoom from inside a compressed folder (zip file or similar)? Is the drive write protected somehow?

The printscreen key takes a screenshot in GZDoom (and in windows it copies the screen to the clipboard which you can then paste into a paint program of some sort).
i meant as in the whole of the roaming folder exists but not he gzdoom one and i think my e drive is actually write protected should i move it to the D drive?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yellow2206 wrote:i think my e drive is actually write protected should i move it to the D drive?
It woudn't hurt to try.
Yellow2206

Post by Yellow2206 »

Enjay wrote:
Yellow2206 wrote:i think my e drive is actually write protected should i move it to the D drive?
It woudn't hurt to try.
Yeah iv'e just started it right now and it'll take 35 minuets which for me is surprising for a 71 gb folder but still ill catch you later when its done also thanks for spending your time to help i really appreciate it
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I have no idea why your GZDoom folder is so big. At a minimum (i.e. GZDoom plus one IWAD - such as doom2.wad) the folder should only be around 35MB.

My Doom folder, with several source ports, several IWADs, some hi-res texture packs and several editing tools is only 14GB (although I have a storage folder for PWADs elsewhere that is much bigger).
Yellow2206

Post by Yellow2206 »

Enjay wrote:I have no idea why your GZDoom folder is so big. At a minimum (i.e. GZDoom plus one IWAD - such as doom2.wad) the folder should only be around 35MB.

My Doom folder, with several source ports, several IWADs, some hi-res texture packs and several editing tools is only 14GB (although I have a storage folder for PWADs elsewhere that is much bigger).
ah that'll be because i always go to these forums everyday and download some pwad's since the bigger the folder the better the fun? but i can see why yours is only 14gb since i always have a tab open for game play mods or total conversion's :D
Yellow2206

Post by Yellow2206 »

Enjay wrote:I have no idea why your GZDoom folder is so big. At a minimum (i.e. GZDoom plus one IWAD - such as doom2.wad) the folder should only be around 35MB.

just realised about what you said about that storage folder all i got to say is wow i mean you in my opinion are one of the best pwad creator's but i didn't expect you to have a folder even bigger than 71 gb
Yellow2206

Post by Yellow2206 »

oh btw the doom folder move is 85% complete so im happy if this does or doesn't work either way
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I mean't much bigger than 14GB. ;) I think my storage folder is around 40GB (but nearly everything in there is zipped up, so it should be relatively small).
Yellow2206

Post by Yellow2206 »

Enjay wrote:I mean't much bigger than 14GB. ;) I think my storage folder is around 40GB (but nearly everything in there is zipped up, so it should be relatively small).
ohhhhhh right whoops i was just about to say "oh damn one of the most talented pwad creator's has a bigger better doom folder" but i thought of it wrong i guess
Yellow2206

Post by Yellow2206 »

Enjay wrote:I'd be surprised of your appdata/roaming folder doesn't exist because it's a folder created by the system and a lot of programs use it. It is usually hidden though.

My guess is that there is something screwey about your e:\doom folder that prevents GZDoom writing an ini to it. Are you running GZDoom from inside a compressed folder (zip file or similar)? Is the drive write protected somehow?

The printscreen key takes a screenshot in GZDoom (and in windows it copies the screen to the clipboard which you can then paste into a paint program of some sort).
the transfer's done i just tried loading the .bat still doesnt work should i just delete every gzdoom file and redownload it?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

If I were you, before deleting everything, I'd set up a new folder that only has GZDoom in it and 1 IWAD. If that works, you can build things up from there.
Yellow2206

Post by Yellow2206 »

Yellow2206 wrote:

the transfer's done i just tried loading the .bat still doesnt work should i just delete every gzdoom file and redownload it?
ok i just tried that launched the .bat and gzdoom just freezes and crashes before it even opens now
Yellow2206

Post by Yellow2206 »

Enjay wrote:If I were you, before deleting everything, I'd set up a new folder that only has GZDoom in it and 1 IWAD. If that works, you can build things up from there.
i would but i guess this'll just get fixed soon so thanks for helping sadly it didn't work but still but you tried the best you could so i guess ill see you another time
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

You should give it a go. It wouldn't be any hassle. right-click - new folder. Drop a new copy of the GZDoom zip file contents in there, drop a copy of doom2.wad in there then try to run it from a bat file.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Yellow2206 wrote: i would but i guess this'll just get fixed soon so thanks for helping sadly it didn't work but still but you tried the best you could so i guess ill see you another time
We can't fix anything if we're unable to reproduce the issue. That's why I moved this from Bug to Tech Issues.

Return to “Technical Issues”