Translucent texture is displaying as opaque white

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Abba Zabba

Translucent texture is displaying as opaque white

Post by Abba Zabba »

Finally built a new rig and got everything set up, and haven't had any issues other than this with GZDoom.

When playing the "Imp Springs" map of DUMP 1, I noticed that the normally translucent slimefall texture at the start of the map was instead a glaring opaque white. I checked r_drawtrans to make sure it was enabled, and it was. Fireball translucency and lost soul translucency are just fine, they work as intended. And in addition to this, I noticed that the texture was still displaying in a way (instead of some other means of corruption or error), as when I opened the main menu, the color overlay that displays when you open the main menu highlighted some dark spots in the animated slimefall texture.
Spoiler: In-game
Spoiler: Main Menu
GPU is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 with pretty new drivers.
GZDoom version is 4.0.0. Hardware accelerated rendering is selected.

EDIT: some more screenshots in the map, to further show the weird rendering issue:
Spoiler: Lava pillars
Spoiler: Yet more lava pillars
It's also worth noting that the translucent blood lake in the center of the map rendered and displayed just fine and as intended, which was a bit odd considering this was map geometry rather than an actor with translucent rendering applied to it.
Blue Shadow

Re: Translucent texture is displaying as opaque white

Post by Blue Shadow »

It's not your hardware. I get the same effect here, as well, on totally different hardware. I'm assuming it's a mapping error, since the translucency given to these linedefs is beyond the 1.0 threshold, like 48.0 and 64.0. The hardware renderer doesn't seem to clamp the values, unlike the software renderers.
Abba Zabba

Re: Translucent texture is displaying as opaque white

Post by Abba Zabba »

Oh, could it really be as simple as that? In the back of my mind I started to think it might me a weird map setting once I noticed the blood lake looked normal versus those pillars. Either way, appreciate your input, thanks.

Return to “Technical Issues”