First time GZDOOM user, not having any luck with it.

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Tarkaris
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

First time GZDOOM user, not having any luck with it.

Post by Tarkaris »

Alright, Details.

So I want to play good ol' D4D and so I follow the instructions specific to D4D and generic GZDOOM/ ZDL use but I only get 1 of 2 results when I try to run things:

Attempting to run a classic doom IWAD gives me the following:

"Execution could not continue.

Cannot find a game IWAD (doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, etc.).
Did you install GZDoom properly? You can do either of the following:

1. Place one or more of these wads in the same directory as GZDoom.
2. Edit your gzdoom-username.ini and add the directories of your iwads
to the list beneath [IWADSearch.Directories]"

And
Attempting to run a custom map wad such as Scythe 2 or the JPCP gets me:

"Execution could not continue.

Palette not found"

I have tried doing the WITI file trick for GZDOOM and I keep getting the same errors even without mods in the external files section whether or not I'm trying to do a classic Doom WAD or a custom one. I haven't a clue on where and what to type in the username.ini so I haven't tried that.

Thanks for your patience and hoping to join in the carnage with the rest of this community with some help.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: First time GZDOOM user, not having any luck with it.

Post by wildweasel »

The obvious question first, I suppose: do you own Doom or Doom 2? Does GZDoom (or ZDL) know where the game data (IWAD) is?
Tarkaris

Post by Tarkaris »

I have the WADs and they are both in the same folder as GZDOOM, as specified for ZDL use. I have also tried simply dragging one or even both WADs onto GZDOOM with result #1 of the top post occuring.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Tarkaris wrote: ..... Some trouble .....
Thanks for your patience and hoping to join in the carnage with the rest of this community with some help.
wildweasel wrote:The obvious question first, I suppose: do you own Doom or Doom 2? Does GZDoom (or ZDL) know where the game data (IWAD) is?
That certainly is a valid question.

In order to play an IWAD or a PWAD with GZDOOM, or any game engine, you must either

1. have puchased (probably from Steam) and installed the DOOM and/or DOOM2 game to obtain the IWAD required to run GZDOOM
or
2. download and install Freedoom to obtain the free IWADs to play PWADs for either ExMx (DOOM/DOOM Ultimate) or MAPxx (DOOM2). However, because of the copyright issue, textures and weapons and monsters are different from regular DOOM.

Then read https://zdoom.org/wiki/Installation_and ... n_of_ZDoom
Tarkaris

Post by Tarkaris »

Note to self: Check my WADs next time! Thank you kindly ^^

Return to “Technical Issues”