GZDoom locks up everything; requires hard restart.

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
abbuw

GZDoom locks up everything; requires hard restart.

Post by abbuw »

I'm not sure if this is a hardware fault on my end or something, but whenever I'm playing GZDoom my computer will lock up randomly. This forces me to do a hard restart if I want to use it again. This only seems to happen with GZDoom, however I play alot of Doom. This happens with the latest beta release (gzdoom-x64-g3.8pre-694-gcda248df6) and the latest stable release (3.7.2). Is there any way to make GZDoom generate some sort of diagnostic thing for someone who knows the codes to take a gander at?

I'm using Windows 10 Home version 1809, build 17763.379. My processor is an Intel i5-5200u with an integrated Intel HD Graphics 5500, using the latest drivers (version 15.40.42.5063).

Quick edit: Neglected to mention this happens alot whenever I'm testing my own custom maps, but I've had it happen a few times with Hideous Destructor (3.7.2d) in TNT. I don't play much vanilla so I can't say anything about that.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: GZDoom locks up everything; requires hard restart.

Post by Graf Zahl »

If it locks up there is no change for any diagnostics anymore. Random lockups are normally a sign of some hardware problem, e.g. maybe the temperatue got too high or the power supply cannot sustain what the system needs and are very rarely a software problem.

One thing you can try is, if you run with vsync off to switch it on. If that helps it's definitely a hardware problem.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

Shucks, I'm already running with vsync on. I've always got Core Temp running and the temperature never goes above 65c when I'm in game, CPU load is usually at 40 or so. I do alot more CPU intensive things than play GZDoom and I don't have any lockups, though I simply might not be doing them long enough to actually get a lockup.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

One other thing: Check your system for dust. It happened to me many years ago that I experienced similar problems. But when I finally opened the case the graphics card's fan was clogged with so much dust that it couldn't do its work anymore. After I cleaned it up, no more instabilities.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

What about other games? If it's a hard lock most likely it's a hardware problem. I think modern GZDoom runs in a borderless window now. A trick for a hung fullscreen application on win 10 is to press win+tab and create a new desktop. Then to go there and lauch task manager with ctrl+alt+del and kill the process.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

Graf Zahl wrote:One other thing: Check your system for dust. It happened to me many years ago that I experienced similar problems. But when I finally opened the case the graphics card's fan was clogged with so much dust that it couldn't do its work anymore. After I cleaned it up, no more instabilities.
Gave my computer a good dusting with approximately all the duster that has ever existed, hope this helps out a bit. No crashes yet, but I have been limiting the amount of time I'm playing GZDoom because having to hard restart my computer makes me wince and cringe and feel all the bad emotions.
drfrag wrote:What about other games? If it's a hard lock most likely it's a hardware problem. I think modern GZDoom runs in a borderless window now. A trick for a hung fullscreen application on win 10 is to press win+tab and create a new desktop. Then to go there and lauch task manager with ctrl+alt+del and kill the process.
I've only had complete hard lockups in GZDoom, however I don't play alot of modern games with fancy OpenGL 4.x features. I was having issues with lockups back in August but that was because my hard drive was in the process of biting the dust.

Return to “Technical Issues”