Shader Hardware Issue

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Twitchy2019

Shader Hardware Issue

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Hey, so I am trying to run the mod D4D 2.0.3 on GZDoom 2.2 and get this message:

Unable to load shader Default:
Init Shader 'Default':
Fragment shader:
ERROR: 0:76: 'array without size' : supported in geometry shaders only

Linking:
Attached fragment shader is not compiled.

So, why is that? And no I am not looking for anyone to update something as ancient as this old version. Just looking for why this message keeps popping up.
I checked with the mod author and he directed me here. My hardware is a potato Intel Celeron with Intel HD graphics. So that might be the reason, though the latest GZDoom runs on my setup with no issues.
dpJudas

Re: Shader Hardware Issue

Post by dpJudas »

If it works in later versions, probably some feature is enabled in 2.2 that the graphics card driver is claiming it supports but doesn't. GZDoom then tries to use the feature and the graphics driver produces an incorrect shader compile error. That was reported to us, then fixed by adding a special check for this Intel driver that makes it not use the feature that doesn't work.

Sorry for being so vague, but that's about as close to an answer as you can get for such an old version. 2.2 is pretty long ago so what exactly went wrong I doubt anyone can remember anymore.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

dpJudas wrote:2.2 is pretty long ago so what exactly went wrong I doubt anyone can remember anymore.
Not to mention it's unsupported.

@warman:
Part of the whole point of having new releases is precisely to fix bugs like this. If you insist that you absolutely must stick with such an old version - that's your own fault, not the developers. They already fixed the issue and it was you who chose not to get the version with the fix.

So go ahead - stick with 2.2. Your stubbornness, and your choice, is not our problem.
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Are you having a bad day or something? I never said anything about asking for a software patch fix. In fact, there was a small detail you missed. Let me show it to you.

"And no I am not looking for anyone to update something as ancient as this old version. Just looking for why this message keeps popping up."

I just came to ask a question, that was all. Why you have to put someone down, and even over something you just outright assumed incorrectly, is something I am still confused over.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

warman2012 wrote:Are you having a bad day or something? I never said anything about asking for a software patch fix. In fact, there was a small detail you missed. Let me show it to you.

"And no I am not looking for anyone to update something as ancient as this old version. Just looking for why this message keeps popping up."

I just came to ask a question, that was all. Why you have to put someone down, and even over something you just outright assumed incorrectly, is something I am still confused over.
Was it really that easy to insult you? Or are you just eager to be a victim for the supposed glory you'd get for it?

As I said - if you're not willing to update, that's your problem.
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Rachael wrote:
warman2012 wrote:Are you having a bad day or something? I never said anything about asking for a software patch fix. In fact, there was a small detail you missed. Let me show it to you.

Was it really that easy to insult you? Or are you just eager to be a victim for the supposed glory you'd get for it?

As I said - if you're not willing to update, that's your problem.
No, just confused on why asking a question seems to lead to outright persecution. Now I could have just ignored that spat, but I thought that answering back in a non-confrontational way would at least helpfully point out any troubles you might be having. I'd like to help if indeed you are having any troubles, as I always like lending an honest ear. I do take pride in trying to help my fellow human beings.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I don't need any help, but thanks for asking.

As for the persecution - no, there was none of that. Trust me, if there was persecution involved, it would come in the form of administrative actions - which I will very clearly note did not take place because the situation right now does not warrant it.

What I did was state very clearly and in no uncertain terms what our stance is on using older versions. Not to be confused - you're free to use it all you like - but it's always with a grain of salt. The very same grain of salt that's labeled as "you're on your own with this one, buddy." If that seems hostile, sorry, that was not my intent - but I'm sure that you understand by now with the years you've been around that tone is very hard to convey in simple text, no?

I have no interest in being hostile towards you. But that does not stop me from being blunt - I will liberally emphasize that using older versions is discouraged, not because of you, but because if that's something people in general do, that literally renders us completely unable to fix any issues they may have.
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Trust me when I say I am well aware of the general policies regarding older versions and updates. I knew I would be on my own regarding this particular issue. This particular mod only works with GZDoom 2.2 and I wanted to see if there could be something I myself could do to fix it. Seeing as it is a hardware issue, thanks to the generous info of Mr. dpJudas, that limits my options.

Not being able to use this mod suits me just fine. I'm not going to wallow in the proverbial dirt over a mod malfunctioning.

Thanks Mr. Judas, you were a big help on this one.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

warman2012 wrote:I'm not going to wallow in the proverbial dirt over a mod malfunctioning.
You mean your hardware malfunctioning. The mod is working just fine.
Thanks Mr. Judas, you were a big help on this one.
You're welcome!
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

dpJudas wrote: is pretty long ago so what exactly went wrong I doubt anyone can remember anymore.
I actually can.
This was a typical case of Intel reporting some feature but then not supporting it properly. In this case it was open sized shader storage buffers only being accepted by the GLSL compiler if a GLSL version that had this feature as core was chosen - but not when the shader tried to enable it via extension.

So yeah, sorry. If you try to run this version of GZDoom on a graphics driver with this particular bug it will fail.
The only possible workarounds are either using a newer GZDoom version which contain a workaround for this bug or hoping that the graphics driver can still be updated and that update fixes the compiler bug. The second one is rather unlikely, considering Intel's track record with such issues. It wasn't the first time they had a crippling bug in the driver and several of those never got fixed - which is why GZDoom does not support Intel HD3000 anymore - the last driver for it is far too broken to be usable with modern features.

Return to “Technical Issues”