High Quality Resize Mode and hires content

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Get Phobo

High Quality Resize Mode and hires content

Post by Get Phobo »

By default, GZDoom does not apply an HQRM algorithm on content it considers "hires", i.e., sprites, textures, and fonts with a higher-than-vanilla resolution. For real HD stuff (8x and higher), this is okay, but in the case of 2x content, some HQ resizing would still be neat. Is there any way to do it?
BerserkerNoir
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: High Quality Resize Mode and hires content

Post by BerserkerNoir »

Are you trying to increase the size of a certain graphic or Sprite but it has higher resolution?
Just type gl_texture_hqresize_maxinputsize (value) in the console (without the Parenthesis) and put a the value (in pixels) of the said Graphic or Sprite you want to see resized, and Anything bellow that number will be resized as well.
Not sure if this is what you meant.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The filters currently won't get applied to already scaled content and considering that I've been having memory problems with any mod out there that uses hi-res assets it's not something I consider necessary.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Well, it would be nice to have that possibility then. You only need to change one setting since all the code is already there, right?
Gez

Post by Gez »

If you're already loading high-res sprites and you want them filtered, then run them through some filter and load them this way. GZDoom can load high-res sprites or filter low-res sprites. Trying to make some fuzzy logic decisions about how something is high-res but not really high-res is just going to make things more needlessly complicated.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

I mean a manual setting, not an automatic logic.
Gez

Post by Gez »

There still need to be automatic logic to determine that a 2x texture can be further upscaled while a 8x cannot.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Ah, so that's what you mean. But what I mean is to just enable the user to manually set HQRM without any automatic detection whatsoever. So the user has to decide whether something is 'HD enough' or not.

I thought that this possibility already existed and I somehow wasn't able to find the hidden setting, otherwise I would have suggested it as a new feature. Well, now I know that the basic functionality is indeed there but was left disabled on purpose because Graf's PC ran out of memory at some point.

Return to “Technical Issues”