Cross-platform separate .ini for each wad/mod

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
masterkark

Cross-platform separate .ini for each wad/mod

Post by masterkark »

I want to use a separate .ini file for each supported .wad or mod. I know I can do it with -config parameter but that would require creating many shortcuts of gzdoom.exe which is problematic because shortcuts are vulnerable to changing their targets' directory locations (which means such GZDoom configuration is not properly portable) and also won't work on Linux (no cross-platform). The best bet would be to use the AutoExec sections of the main .ini to execute a different save_dir CVAR for each .wad, but that is again problematic because, in contrary to Autoload sections, the AutoExec sections are very general and for example won't allow to load a separate .cfg for doom.wad and doom2.wad. Is there anything I can do to solve the issue by having all the main necessary directives only in the main .ini, and not in shortcuts or batch files?
_mental_

Re: Cross-platform separate .ini for each wad/mod

Post by _mental_ »

The default search paths (IWAD, PWAD, soundfont, autoexec) are different on each platform. They are not portable by definition.
masterkark

Post by masterkark »

OK, I didn't know that. But still, the multiple shortcuts solution is not really elegant. Is there a way to separate each game's configs by editing the main config? Or is the bash/batch file the only solution?
Korell

Post by Korell »

masterkark wrote:The best bet would be to use the AutoExec sections of the main .ini to execute a different save_dir CVAR for each .wad, but that is again problematic because, in contrary to Autoload sections, the AutoExec sections are very general and for example won't allow to load a separate .cfg for doom.wad and doom2.wad.
Another issue if you try to use one ini file is that not all mods have their own keybinding sections, instead using the Doom, Heretic, Hexen, etc. ones, and as some mods allow jumping and crouching and others don't you'd end up with undesirable bindings in other mods, so I found that having multiple ini files was necessary, as per your title.

If you let go of the cross-platform aspect of this then within Windows you can specify relative paths inside a batch file rather than absolute paths. You can also create Windows shortcuts that have relative paths, though I've never tried creating one with many command line arguments. Here's some information: https://sumtips.com/how-to/create-short ... n-windows/
masterkark

Post by masterkark »

Thanks, I'll try that.

Return to “Technical Issues”