How to search only specific WADs in a directory?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
masterkark

How to search only specific WADs in a directory?

Post by masterkark »

Currently, I have [IWADSearch.Directories] with a custom path. I also use a separate shortcut to gzdoom.exe which loads a separate .ini config file, which in turn loads Brutal Doom's pk3. That way, I can separate vanilla Doom from Brutal Doom without having to install GZDoom twice.

The problem is, I want GZDoom to detect only some wads for Brutal Doom because only some are compatible with it. The only way I managed to do this is to make a separate WADs directory for it, but this is not a good solution since I must have 2 copies of DOOM wads and it wastes space. I tried adding entries like "Path=(...)/wads/doom.wad" for each Brutal Doom's WAD but it doesn't work.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: How to search only specific WADs in a directory?

Post by Rachael »

As the header implies it allows for "Directories" - meaning you can specify more than one.

In both configurations, pick a common path for your Doom wads and add that to the end of the list of search paths. You can simply copy-paste a previous line to do that. If you are using Windows, it is good practice (but not required) when using GZDoom to prefer forward-slash (/) folder markers. Windows by default uses the DOS convention of backslash (\). The reason for this is because some text parsers may misinterpret \-laden path names as an escape sequence (following a C/C++ standard), and you do not want that. It also makes it easier to transfer your configuration file to Mac or Linux later on - both systems use the / path delineation marker, and do not support using \ at all.

So for example, if you have Doom.wad loaded in your documents folder, you would make the section look like this:

Code: Select all

[IWADSearch.Directories]
Path=.
Path=$DOOMWADDIR
Path=$HOME
Path=$PROGDIR
Path=C:/Users/masterkark/Documents
If you remove the $DOOMWADDIR and "." entries, it will prevent GZDoom from attempting to search your Brutal Doom folder for an IWAD.

Return to “Technical Issues”