Trying to run in mac getting opengl errors

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Lanesracra

Trying to run in mac getting opengl errors

Post by Lanesracra »

So I've got a Mac updated to high Sierra I think and no matter what I try, wineskin crossover qzdoom gzdoom etc I always get an error of some kind usually about open gl 3.x. I just wanna play brutal doom with the story campaign. What do I do?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Trying to run in mac getting opengl errors

Post by Graf Zahl »

First you need to give more info about the error you get. This is far, far too vague.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

And why do you need Wineskin or CrossOver to run GZDoom? You should use native macOS version.
Lanesracra

Post by Lanesracra »

_mental_ wrote:And why do you need Wineskin or CrossOver to run GZDoom? You should use native macOS version.
If I want to run Brutal Doom with the campaign, which version should I download and how do I run it with the native Mac version?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

We could really use more information about your computer. What are the system specs?
Lanesracra

Post by Lanesracra »

wildweasel wrote:We could really use more information about your computer. What are the system specs?
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Lanesracra wrote:
_mental_ wrote:And why do you need Wineskin or CrossOver to run GZDoom? You should use native macOS version.
If I want to run Brutal Doom with the campaign, which version should I download and how do I run it with the native Mac version?
First, delete the gzdoom.exe and gzdoom.pk3 that comes with Brutal Doom. Then download the latest version from here (get the Mac version) - and replace your deleted gzdoom.exe and gzdoom.pk3 with the mac version from that page.

You do not need to run wine to run GZDoom and it's absolutely senseless to do so.
Lanesracra

Post by Lanesracra »

Is it possible to run other campaigns with the brutal doom graphic enhancements, or are custom wads incompatible with that?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I have no idea. You'll have to try it and see.

Some will work, some won't, and it's not very easy to list them off the top of one's head what works unless it's something that person plays a lot. And I don't use Brutal Doom, so that list is empty for me.
Lanesracra

Post by Lanesracra »

What would you suggest for graphical enhancements as an alternative?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Nash's Gore mod is one that comes up a lot for people who like or enjoy Brutal Doom and Nash takes special care to try and make his mods compatible with everything. (Except, obviously, Zandronum or older versions of GZDoom)

Smooth Doom comes up pretty frequently, too - it mostly adds rotations and extra tween-animation frames for the enemies.

Also, the Gameplay Mods forum is full of stuff to try. Anything that makes it past 3 pages in user replies is probably worth checking out if you're new to GZDoom and short on time, but occasionally new stuff appears too that's awesome and worth checking out, as well.

If you want new maps and new challenges to beat, then obviously check out the Levels and Total Conversions as well.
Lanesracra

Post by Lanesracra »

Okay, what's the easiest way to run these files together with the mac GZDoom client? I'm a bit confused and dragging and dropping has...mixed effects

Return to “Technical Issues”