GZDoom, Blurred vision.

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Graaicko
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

GZDoom, Blurred vision.

Post by Graaicko »

So I was messing around with the darkness of the options and screwed something up. I defaulted all the options. Now the game looks like cancer. What option changes this annoying ass blur feature?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: GZDoom, Blurred vision.

Post by Graf Zahl »

Hard to tell in that tiny screenshot but I guess you want to change the texture filter.
gramps

Post by gramps »

Having that on by default is a design choice I really don't understand. Would love to see that go, or at least a menu option for turning it off once menus are cleaned up.

Would be interesting to run a little poll to see how many people play with that enabled. I can't remember ever hearing anything positive about it, tbh.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

gramps wrote:Having that on by default is a design choice I really don't understand. Would love to see that go, or at least a menu option for turning it off once menus are cleaned up.

Would be interesting to run a little poll to see how many people play with that enabled. I can't remember ever hearing anything positive about it, tbh.
It's the default because it's what Graf prefers. We've tried convincing him otherwise, but it just hasn't happened. [shrug]
gramps

Post by gramps »

Heh, try harder guys!

Funny story. I used to mess with this stuff way back when, looked at gzdoom, saw that filtering, couldn't immediately figure out how to turn it off, and stuck with zdoom for *years* without giving gzdoom another look. Just because of the filtering.

I know "customer" acquisition is of zero concern to gzdoom maintainers, and rightfully so... so that little anecdote is probably meaningless. But something about this setting just feels wrong.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

gramps wrote: But something about this setting just feels wrong.

Well, I disagree here. And we really do not know what all those users think that never post here.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Graaicko wrote:Now the game looks like cancer.
Have you ever seen cancer? I would hardly trust you to be a judge of such things.
gramps wrote:Heh, try harder guys!
Why? What concern is it to you what defaults are when you can simply change them in the menu? This is petty and lame and stupid.
gramps

Post by gramps »

Like I said, back in those days I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. As in, never found that menu option. In fact I'm sure I was under the impression that that was just how gzdoom looked, after not finding the option.

I don't doubt it's buried in there somewhere, but as of recently, up until you just said that I thought it was only controlled by a cvar (which I can never remember the exact name of).

From a user perspective, yeah, being concerned about easily-changed defaults might be lame/petty/stupid (of course I'd prefer to have as little as possible to configure, but if that's petty, it's petty).

From the perspective of someone intending to produce content that's meant to look a certain way on the user end, it's a different story. You have to tell the users which options to set to get the thing to look like you intended it to look.

As an artist, I'd think you'd want your artwork to appear unaltered in the game by default. If the user wants to apply some filters, they should be able to, but these filters shouldn't be applied *for* them.

Anyway, just looked through the menus and sure enough, it's in there, buried 3 levels deep. Options -> display options -> opengl renderer-> texture options -> texture filter mode. Easy enough if you know where to look, I guess.

@Graf: I guess you can reliably assume those users (new ones, at least) were expecting something that looks more or less like Doom always looked. The texture filtering breaks that expectation.

Anyway, I'll drop it as it's apparently already been beat to death.
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

Random user with zero influence here, but thought I'd give my two cents. I turn off the texture filtering every time I do a fresh install of GZDoom. Really makes the sprites look muddy. However, I also change a ton of other things to tweak them to my liking and wouldn't expect it to be otherwise. I agree that I have never heard anyone say anything positive about the filtering defaults, but I also agree that its quite a trivial thing to adjust. There's never going to be an "out of the box" configuration that would make the majority of users happy. That said, I do believe that more users would prefer having the filtering off by default. I don't know how much that really matters though. I have played mods where the filtering looks better on, but its not the norm.

On the topic of the texture filters I had a quick question though, and probably a stupid question but, what is the none (trilenear) option? I understand trilinear/bilinear filtering options and the obvious "none" option, but I wasn't sure what the "none (trilinear/linear/nearest)" options were about?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

ate0ate wrote:what is the none (trilenear) option? I understand trilinear/bilinear filtering options and the obvious "none" option, but I wasn't sure what the "none (trilinear/linear/nearest)" options were about?
The extra options have to do with what happens when the pixels start to get too small on your screen. When they are sufficiently small, having it set to none (trilinear) makes them render as trilinear instead of neighbour filtering, that way they look more realistic and you don't get the "sparkle" effect from grainy textures.
gramps

Post by gramps »

Wait, so you can have mipmaps to reduce that nasty medusa effect without blurring the sprites and credit screens and everything else? That's actually super useful. Wouldn't something like that make more sense as a default? Or is the consensus really that seeking a good baseline default is basically impossible, so just do whatever and there's a menu option for it somewhere if you don't like it?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Why do you want those ugly squares if there's a way to turn them off by default? :twisted:
gramps

Post by gramps »

Objection, your honor. Those squares are crispy and delicious!

I guess we'll just call this "differing tastes," then...
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

"none (trilinear)" is clearly the superior option... (sarcasm)

Thank you for the explanation Rachel. Much appreciated.
Graaicko
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Graaicko »

Rachael wrote:
Graaicko wrote:Now the game looks like cancer.
Have you ever seen cancer? I would hardly trust you to be a judge of such things.
lol You serious?
Last edited by Graaicko on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Technical Issues”