Steam libraries and doom Wads

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
MajorFoley

Steam libraries and doom Wads

Post by MajorFoley »

Hi guys so the DOOM wads were found fine on my old PC however when i moved gzdoom to my new PC it's having an issue finding them. My default directory for steam is my C:\ SSD drive but my games library are on a steam library in my F:\ drive. When i moved the games back to the SSD GZdoom has no issues finding them but if i move them elsewhere thats not there or the GZdoom folder it doesn't find them. This intentional or is something going on?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Steam libraries and doom Wads

Post by Graf Zahl »

GZDoom needs to know where Steam stores its data. By moving it around you have apparently severed the tie between this data and the information pointing to it.
Did you move the files from within Steam or by using Explorer?
MajorFoley

Post by MajorFoley »

Graf Zahl wrote:GZDoom needs to know where Steam stores its data. By moving it around you have apparently severed the tie between this data and the information pointing to it.
Did you move the files from within Steam or by using Explorer?
When i was moving to the new PC i first installed steam on the SSD which had absolutely no games on it, then copied my steam library folder from my other PC to this ones HDD and pointed steam towards it. I did try just reinstalling the games into the steam library folder but it didn't like that either.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, in that case GZDoom loses the information where to find it. For that Steam needs to be reinstalled with the new folder.
MajorFoley

Post by MajorFoley »

Graf Zahl wrote:Yes, in that case GZDoom loses the information where to find it. For that Steam needs to be reinstalled with the new folder.
I didn't copy/paste steam i gave it a fresh install on the SSD and just copied over the games from the steamapps folder to my HDD library folder instead how is that losing info? When i get up (4am here) I'll take out my old PC and check because im damn sure that was on the HDD and found it fine, could be mistaken.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

MajorFoley wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:Yes, in that case GZDoom loses the information where to find it. For that Steam needs to be reinstalled with the new folder.
I didn't copy/paste steam i gave it a fresh install on the SSD and just copied over the games from the steamapps folder to my HDD library folder instead how is that losing info? When i get up (4am here) I'll take out my old PC and check because im damn sure that was on the HDD and found it fine, could be mistaken.
You need to do the entire process of installation "legit." You can't just copy the library - you need to install Steam from its installer, and install Doom through Steam. This is because the install process adds registry entries so that Windows knows where the game is "supposed" to be, and those registry entries are what GZDoom needs to identify where a Doom install lives. Moving the folder around means it's no longer living in the place where it's registered, and GZDoom has no idea where to.
MajorFoley

Post by MajorFoley »

wildweasel wrote:
MajorFoley wrote:
You need to do the entire process of installation "legit." You can't just copy the library - you need to install Steam from its installer, and install Doom through Steam. This is because the install process adds registry entries so that Windows knows where the game is "supposed" to be, and those registry entries are what GZDoom needs to identify where a Doom install lives. Moving the folder around means it's no longer living in the place where it's registered, and GZDoom has no idea where to.
Which i ended up trying and it didn't work either. I think i mentioned that in my 2nd post if i didn't I apologise but i did uninstall all DOOM's. Closed steam restarted my PC and reinstalled them. Still didnt change anything
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I think it should be noted that GZDoom cannot detect Doom installs in external libraries. I don't know if that's intentional or not or just a shortcoming of how the feature was implemented, but Doom must be installed to Steam's internal library in order for GZDoom to detect it.
MajorFoley

Post by MajorFoley »

Rachael wrote:I think it should be noted that GZDoom cannot detect Doom installs in external libraries. I don't know if that's intentional or not or just a shortcoming of how the feature was implemented, but Doom must be installed to Steam's internal library in order for GZDoom to detect it.
Just booted up my old PC and yeah they found it, but im pretty sure also Steam was installed on that HDD to begin with so you may be right. I think i'll just move it for now and hope one day it will detect external libraries, would be great. I do remember people saying you can change the paths, could i make it discover the doom files by pointing to the commons folder so it can find every wad or do i have to point them to the specific folders each time? (so i would have to add a line for each doom wad)

Return to “Technical Issues”