1:1 Pixel Ratio (and unnatural slowdowns, now with a VFE)

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
RSSwizard

1:1 Pixel Ratio (and unnatural slowdowns, now with a VFE)

Post by RSSwizard »

So lets say I set the resolution to 960x600. (forced in the .ini file - why isnt this natural threeX vanilla resolution not in the list?)
I still end up with pixels on weapons, status, environment that have been stretched or are not being scaled properly.
And through movement and bobbing on the screen im also noticing some tearing where these improper scaling lines are being located too. Sorry, I cant take video of it.

How do I ENFORCE having Square Pixels on my output of the game?
Previous versions of GZdoom didnt have this problem, I want my square pixels back.

(yes yes I know vanilla emulation on CRT modes was not actually using square pixels, they were 1/5th taller, and I remember those days but the fact is ive been playing doom on sourceports for so many years now that I prefer Square pixels now and I must get it back)

(my screen resolution is 1366x768 so having it set at 960x600 is just about ideal for me. I NEVER play this game Fullscreen because I need quick access to other apps and browser tabs in the background. And this is exactly 3x vanilla res anyway)

Problem #2:
Im only using the Truecolor SW Renderer and im STILL getting slowdowns on the game even in map01.
I dont know the exact fps but its maybe like 15-20.
Also this comes and goes too like sometimes itll be 20fps but then itll chug at like 3fps for a few seconds, then goes back to normal. For No Reason because there isnt anything intense going on in the game (its doom2 map01, its very simple).

I also noted having a slowdown looking out into the courtyard or the entrance courtyard.
Ie, places that have a sky texture.

This IS awful nostalgic for reminding me of the old days when I had a 386 and 486
But im sure when I put it through the grinder of something heavy like a modern mod or even final doom its going to dip far lower than that.
Which I havent even tried yet.

Even in the menu im getting slowdowns... I have to wait for the menu cursor to register to make sure that its cycled to the proper menu options because its not being updated in realtime.

Edit - Im also getting Choppy Music too which is really annoying.
I always use OPL Synth Emulation because thats the closest to the way the game music originally sounded on Adlib soundcards.

My computer specs are well within requirements, especially for SW, and its got GL 4.3 capability or something like that.
Using GZdoom 3.6 legacy, no mods are loaded.
I know GZdoom 3.25 works just fine and purrs like a kitten.
I closed most of my browser tabs just to remove that element.

Additional Edit
Now it comes included with a Very Fatal Error
Using wadsmoosh/doom_complete.pk3 starting a new game in Plutonia Experiment loads the map and displays the screen but before the weapon appears/raises the game crashes with a VFE

Code: C0000005
Access Violation: Tried to read address 00000014
Address: 05498045
I use wadsmoosh as my iwad and it works fine on prior versions no problem. So its not the iwad/pk3.

Im just going to keep updating my post with whatever issues ive got until someone responds to the issues.
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20181128_144358b.png
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: 1:1 Pixel Ratio (and unnatural slowdowns, now with a VFE

Post by drfrag »

I guess you're on intel, saying "it's got GL 4.3 capability or something like that" is not enough. Also a full crash report could help.
If only the software renderer is affected by the slowdown then it's a known issue. About the crash, does it happen in software as well? There's another known problem with some old "cards" and drivers, specially intel due to some refactorings in the engine and it's causing crashes there, i think it's some obscure driver bug.
drfrag wrote:There was a 50% performance regression in software since 3.3 and it wasn't fixed on intel i think. But is it really that slow?
Try the vintage build at a lower resolution or LZDoom (still has D3D).
Blzut3 wrote:On Linux with the open source Intel or AMD drivers should see double the frame rate from before. On Windows with AMD/ATi graphics should see similarly, although still regressed compared to D3D*. AMD performance is currently mostly the same between Windows and Linux with Linux slightly in the lead**. Intel on Windows and my 2009 Mac Mini with nvidia are still regressed, but likely nothing can be done about them.
Since you're mainly interested in the software renderer and you're experiencing crashes i think the best advice i could give you is to try with LZDoom and hope it won't crash.

Edit: about that resolution it's anything but "natural", if it's not in the list is becouse is not supported by your graphics driver. If you "force" it you will get the closest lower resolution available, at least i think that's how the old code worked if i remember right. Also no square pixels in vanilla as you've said yourself. Fun fact, i'm still using a CRT and i play @1024x768. :)
RSSwizard

Post by RSSwizard »

Ive got an AMD Radeon chip, its on a Lenovo Thinkpad.
(4gb ram, 384mb video)
Whats going on affects the hardware renderer too. Doesnt seem to matter which renderer is used when it comes to the slowdowns and crashes.
I dont have Linux, ive got Windows 8.1 Pro.
Ive tried to upgrade my graphics drivers before but all it gives me is what ive currently using. Ie no new drivers have been issued. Glad at least I never have to worry about that one being a problem.

In terms of picking out a resolution its for Windowed mode, so the window is just a window. I do not play fullscreen, ever.
Turns out I did manage to get the pixels square by going 4:3, somehow didnt notice that 5:4 was set and that was causing what was going on in the screenshot. I did have to manually go into the .ini file and set the 960x600 resolution, which was very annoying.

The slowdowns and crashes do have to be resolved or I wont be able to play modern versions of GZ.
or the mods that go with them (which is the real point of it anyways).
If it wasnt for the mods I wouldnt play modern GZ, I would just use zd2.81.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

RSSwizard wrote: ( 384mb video)
That may be the reason for the crashes. Due to how the modern engine works it requires quite a bit more RAM than older ones and I simply cannot recommend running it with less than 512 MB. Depending on various settings it may just not be enough.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Really? He's using the vintage build in software mode.
RSSwizard wrote:Ive got an AMD Radeon chip
I guessed wrong then. But which chip? How do you know about the 384 mb? Look at your advanced screen settings or post a full crash report.
Probably it's an integrated chip with shared memory and that's just the amount allocated by default.
This could even be a problem with windows itself or some other software.
Edit: another thing you could try is running the vintage build with the -glversion 2 command.

Return to “Technical Issues”