VERY low fps

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

VERY low fps

Post by Guest »

I have a some-what low spec laptop so I decided to play older games, and downloaded GZDOOM, but whenever I run it i get about 0.3 fps and 4000 ms. When I use MSI afterburner it shows that the game is using 0% of my GPU and about 50% of my cpu. My specs are:

CPU:i7-3687u
GPU:Intel HD 4000
Memory:10 GB DDR3-1333
Storage: 256 GB SSD

Considering this is a fairly old game and I get 60 fps+ on all other games I play (old games) I'm pretty sure it's a technical issue I just don't know what's the problem. Any help will be appreciated.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: VERY low fps

Post by Rachael »

There's literally no excuse for a system like that to have that low of a frame rate. At worst you should get about 15-20 FPS, depending on your resolution - higher if lower res.

I think what's happened here is the display drivers are not properly installed so it's reverting to a software rendered OpenGL.

Make sure to actually install Intel drivers, NOT Microsoft drivers, because Microsoft typically does not include the OpenGL ICD's.

EDIT: I just remembered - Intel drivers for the HD4000 are *not* compatible with Windows 10. You will need to patch GZDoom with this utility. And possibly any other OpenGL program you plan to run, as well. That fools the drivers into thinking you're using Windows 8 - and then it will work properly.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It's also worth pointing out that GZDoom is not really an old game in the traditional sense. It may be based on an old game engine and use an old resource file to provide game data but it also uses some much newer features that were not around when Doom was new and which require newer and much more powerful hardware than was needed to run Doom.

That doesn't negate anything Rachael said. I just wanted to address a common misconception.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Intel HD 4000 should manage 30 fps on an average system. When I tested the integrated chipset in my system it ran semi-decently, not great but serviceable.

Return to “Technical Issues”