OpenGL 4+ card, yet crashes with GZDoom

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Barbatu91

OpenGL 4+ card, yet crashes with GZDoom

Post by Barbatu91 »

Hello everyone!

First off, I can see a lot of topics are about this issue, so I'm sorry to post yet another
one, but none of my researches on the forum have brought me an answer.

I run a spec equipped with an ATI Radeon 6870, updated driver, I have checked my OpenGL
version with OpenGLViewer and it appears I am on version 4.4 (or something like that, but
definitely 4+, so eligible for the modern GZDoom build)

Yet lately my GZDoom has been crashing a lot on some mods, including Brutal Doom, Project
Brutality and Doom4ForDoom, everytime with the error code C00000005 - Access Violation,
which a quick search in here told me was an OpenGL issue. But in most threads, lads run on
Intel HD Graphics with dodgy OGL versions, and I don't.

What I have noticed is that if I lower the specs, the crashes still happen, but take longer to
happen. Has any of you had/found a fix to that issue?

If that's any help, please find my detailed spec below:
CPU: Intel i5-2500k @3.3Ghz
GPU: MSI Radeon 6870
RAM: 8Gb DDR3 @1333Mhz Corsair Vengeance
SSD: Samsung 256Gb

Also, I will send an error report tonight via GZDoom when it crashes again.

Thank you

EDIT: Sorry I forgot, I run on Windows 8, run GZDoom as Administrator (suspected that to begin
with) , and GZDoom is in the exception list of my antivirus (Avast).
_mental_

Re: OpenGL 4+ card, yet crashes with GZDoom

Post by _mental_ »

Upload whole crash report please. "C00000005 - Access Violation" is a way too generic to conclude something meaningful.
Barbatu91

Post by Barbatu91 »

Good evening,

Yes, my apologies, it was indeed a little dumb of me.
Please find it attached, along with the description of what happened when error occurred (don't know
if that was included in the report so copying it here:
Playing Plutonia, map32, mod Doom4ForDoom, v2.0.3 on moddb:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/d4d-doom4-for-doom

OS: Win8 | CPU: Intel i5-2500k@3.3Ghz | GPU: MSI Radeon 6870 | OpenGL: v4.4 | SSD/HDD: SSD Samsung 256Gb | running as admin, added to AV exception List
Attachments
CrashReport.zip
(20.71 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

3.5.1 is not the newest version of GZDoom. Try with 3.6.0 and with the latest devbuild.
Barbatu91

Post by Barbatu91 »

Hello,

So I have tried, and I get a much better behaviour. Crash still happens, but I can play much longer and even with max specs.
It still crashes after a while, but it just closed without giving the report tool so I couldn't get it generated.

I think the issue now has more to do with my card, as I only have 1GB of DDR5, and I have noticed that when I turn the texture
options down the game is lightening fast and doesn't crash, regardless of other options/Wads, so probably the former version I
used managed textures in the memory differently, the latest one would maybe do it better but in the end I still play with an old
card that doesn't have much so stuff happens.

To second that, the issue only started appearing after my previous card fried (R9 290X w/ 4GB GDDR5) and I had to put this one
back in my machine. Thank you for your help, I think I'll just stick with texture downs until I can get a decent GC, and switching
to newer build did help anyway :)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

If you're using features like texture resizing and multi sampling, those contribute a lot more to video RAM usage than you'd expect. Even 2x texture resizing takes up four times the RAM as the textures would normally. Each successive step up from there takes exponential amounts of RAM.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

With 1 GB, texture resizing is not really recommended. Never forget that aside from the textures all the framebuffers, vertex buffers and other intermediate data has to fit into memory. You can assume that roughly 100 MB will already be gone before even the first texture is uploaded. And it really doesn't take much to fill up the rest with large textures.

Return to “Technical Issues”