Brutal doom Shader loading ?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

Brutal doom Shader loading ?

Post by Guest »

Hello, recently i'm playing brutal doom (v20,v21,PB 2.3) but i experience micro-freezes when playing, similar of those of a shader loading. I have the shader preload stuff enabled in the option. It becomes a bit annoying and it happens when i kill an ennemy, pull a trigger, or shoot a weapon. Sometimes even randomly ! No viruses (MalwareBytes + AdwCleaner) and CCleaned PC.

My rig : I7-6700HQ 2.2GHZ, NVIDIA 960M, 8Go of ram Win10 every option is default but the priorities are set in the nvidia control panel

Thank you in advance !
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Brutal doom Shader loading ?

Post by Rachael »

I don't think shaders have anything to do with this. I believe this is what happens when you are loading sounds.

Post by Guest »

is there a way to avoid this problem then ? i should have specified that i'm searching a solution :) how does everyone/you does about it? you're getting along with this ?
Enarkz

Post by Enarkz »

Any advice tho ?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

What's likely happening is the decoding of the sound formats is what's causing the issues. Short of upgrading your CPU - no.

You can try putting GZDoom and Brutal Doom on a RAMDisk though - that might speed things up slightly since the disk will have to be used less.
Enarkz

Post by Enarkz »

Rachael wrote:What's likely happening is the decoding of the sound formats is what's causing the issues. Short of upgrading your CPU - no.

You can try putting GZDoom and Brutal Doom on a RAMDisk though - that might speed things up slightly since the disk will have to be used less.
It'll be better if i put it on a SSD ? My whole GZdoom/Modfolder or doom explorer folder ? Btw my CPU should be way ahead when it comes to this since black ops 4 runnin fine atm
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Putting it on an SSD will always help.
I'm not so sure about the sounds. The engine will precache all sounds it thinks it needs when starting a level and at worst after playing a bit this should go down to zero.
This may also be caused by some misbehaving background process, for example a virus scanner constantly intercepting some file open requests and scanning the file before actually opening it.

Does it also happen with other GZDoom mods or only with Brutal Doom?
Enarkz

Post by Enarkz »

Graf Zahl wrote:Putting it on an SSD will always help.
I'm not so sure about the sounds. The engine will precache all sounds it thinks it needs when starting a level and at worst after playing a bit this should go down to zero.
This may also be caused by some misbehaving background process, for example a virus scanner constantly intercepting some file open requests and scanning the file before actually opening it.

Does it also happen with other GZDoom mods or only with Brutal Doom?
I never let any anti viruses run in background, i prefer to malwarebyte each weeks ! It can happens 1 or 2 times each sitting on others mods but it's not annoying at all compared to the recurring micro freezes in BD and PB. What should i put on ssd ? My mod folder or just gzdoom.exe? or doom explorer ? I have a GZDOOM folder with gzdoom + every wad i collected but i use doom explorer everytime
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Put everything related to Brutal Doom on the SSD - including GZDoom, the mod, and Doom2.wad. And anything else you're loading with it.
Enarkz

Post by Enarkz »

I just played 3 maps in wardusted (the new star wars mod) who includes hd texture pack and is roughly 300MB, and i did not experience any freeze-on-frame thing

Edit : I'm not testing the method mentionned above already, i'm trying atm

Edit 2 : My wad folder is 20go and i don't have the space on my SSD :/ if it's only on BD and PB i'll get along then but idk why it does this
Enarkz

Post by Enarkz »

i didn't see any improvement by putting pb on ssd. :/ when shooting with a newfound weapon in hearth of baron mod did the freeze on frame thing too but just for a single frame
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I just played 3 maps in wardusted (the new star wars mod) who includes hd texture pack and is roughly 300MB, and i did not experience any freeze-on-frame thing

Edit : I'm not testing the method mentionned above already, i'm trying atm

Edit 2 : My wad folder is 20go and i don't have the space on my SSD :/ if it's only on BD and PB i'll get along then but idk why it does this
I'm not saying put your entire wad folder on there, only what you're using. If you're loading different wads at different times you can shuffle them in and out, it's fine the SSD can take a bit of file deletion here and there.
i didn't see any improvement by putting pb on ssd. :/ when shooting with a newfound weapon in hearth of baron mod did the freeze on frame thing too but just for a single frame
Then it's a CPU problem. It's likely loading an ogg or flac and your CPU is not powerful enough to decode it quickly. This isn't the first time I've seen that happen with Brutal Doom.
Enarkz

Post by Enarkz »

a full fledged 2.60 GHZ I7 8 thread CPU cannot decode a .ogg with no other apps in background ? there must be something to do, the "upgrade your rig" answer is rarely true in my own experience

Edit: The project msx mod does it also :/
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Hmm, I didn't think your CPU was that powerful.

That doesn't excuse Brutal Doom's numerous other performance-related crimes though - the thing is chock full of CPU-hogging resources, and with much of GZDoom running on a single thread, even 2.6 GHz isn't enough to run Brutal Doom smoothly. (Truthfully - nothing is - and I know it may hurt to hear this if you're a Brutal Doom fan, but that mod is an atrocious mess of coding and overused effects - no one who is knowledgeable with coding has EVER looked at the Brutal Doom code base and made any compliments about it - that is not a coincidence)

I would recommend looking into BDLite. It aims to strip Brutal Doom of some of its worst resource hogs and get to what's best about it.
Enarkz

Post by Enarkz »

Thanks for the fast responses, very much appreciated :) Honestly if it's a common problem i'll get along with it, i just don't wan't my experience to be spoiled by a shitty enable or disable i messed up with and since it does this in other mods it's a bit sad :'(

Return to “Technical Issues”