PC Fans turn on but the PC itself doesn't

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: PC Fans turn on but the PC itself doesn't

Post by wildweasel »

TDRR wrote:
drfrag wrote:That's very wrong, that led only means the motherboard works partially. Removing the heatsink could kill old cpus and even the motherboard, now they throttle and even turn off. On the other hand if there's a speaker or buzzer you'll get beeps when there's no ram installed.
Forgot to reply to this one. The speaker didn't beep so that wasn't helping, and the heatsink killing old CPUs is okay if you are fast enough (if the CPU heats up, quickly unplug your CPU/ turn off your PSU and that's it)
I would not put a lot of stock in this advice, as a CPU is a relatively expensive component to be almost literally playing with fire with.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Certain old cpus would burn in only a fraction of a second that's why the thermal protection circuit is built into the cpu itself, solutions built on the motherboard were too slow. Modern cpus would turn off inmediately. Also if the speaker is working you will get beeps without ram.
On the motherboard led it's there only to remind you to turn the power off.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

drfrag wrote:Certain old cpus would burn in only a fraction of a second that's why the thermal protection circuit is built into the cpu itself, solutions built on the motherboard were too slow. Modern cpus would turn off inmediately. Also if the speaker is working you will get beeps without ram.
On the motherboard led it's there only to remind you to turn the power off.
The speaker is working and i tested it using Doom and FreeDos which made it beep relatively loudly, but for some reason it didn't beep at all when i didn't have ram.

Makes sense, kind of weird my CPU heated up slowly. (Not too slow, like 15 seconds or so)

Return to “Technical Issues”