[GZDoom 3.6.0] GZDoom slow to start

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
chopkinsca

[GZDoom 3.6.0] GZDoom slow to start

Post by chopkinsca »

Yesterday I had all my keybindings in GZDoom clear themselves, so I updated my 3.1.0 GZDoom. I'm using 3.6.0 now and it is slow to start up. During the start up phase, it takes around 10 seconds before the menu. 3.1.0 didn't have this problem.

I have a logfile attached, let me know if you need to know anything else.

In the startup console, this is the last line that gets displayed:

Code: Select all

D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
Edit: I'm guessing some system info would be helpful.
Attachments
GZDoom_log.txt
(7.1 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Enjay

Re: [GZDoom 3.6.0] GZDoom slow to start

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm... I wonder if this is something similar to what I have experienced. I reported a little while back that when my internet connection is down, GZDoom takes much longer to start in a very similar way to what you describe. Things were tracked down to my anti-virus software trying to check home to verify that the file was OK. So, maybe, something related to your antivirus software is going on?
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Yeah, I came across your post when I was doing a search on the problem. I'm just running Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. I tried an exclusion in Malwarebytes, nothing.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You are using Intel graphics - the issue is shader compilations on startup. On Nvidia it's cached so most of the primary developers do not feel the pinch - but I wonder if it's possible to cache the compiles on GZDoom's side.

(As a note - Steam advertises this capability. Maybe try adding GZDoom as a custom game on Steam, and see if it will do that for you - no guarantees there, but worth a try)
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Rachael wrote:You are using Intel graphics - the issue is shader compilations on startup. On Nvidia it's cached so most of the primary developers do not feel the pinch - but I wonder if it's possible to cache the compiles on GZDoom's side.

(As a note - Steam advertises this capability. Maybe try adding GZDoom as a custom game on Steam, and see if it will do that for you - no guarantees there, but worth a try)
Ah, so there's not much I can do. I tried adding it as a Steam game, still the same. It's a bit bothersome because while mapping, I have a habit of jumping into the game quite often. For now I can just use an older version of (G)ZDoom if I need quick access to the game.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You can also try the legacy version, and still use 3.6.0. I think it's less shader-heavy. If nothing else, it's possible to use "-glversion 2" with the legacy version, still, and it only uses a bare minimum of shaders when you do that.
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Using "-glversion 2" worked, thanks.

Return to “Technical Issues”